1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pay

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by tdad, Dec 7, 2010.

1. So how much is that likely to be, would you know please? Just want a rough idea of what people tend to get so I can see if I can afford it.

2. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I'm afraid it's very much dependent on what authority you are working for - mine is amongst the best paid ones (only one I know which was higher was Nottingham area and they are currently being threatened with reductions as part of Single Status, I believe) and starting salary for 36.5 hours, 39 weeks working and holiday pro-rata to five weeks, would be around £20000 gross per annum. Current top rate is around £2000 per month.
    I suspect that, as this is part of a cost-cutting exercise, your LEA do not pay anything remotely close to this - some HLTAs on this and other forums are earning much much less, particularly if they are employed for fewer than full-time hours, which many are, although this is contrary to the original advice about the role. Unfortunately, with the end of the SSSNB, heads are at liberty to pay staff as little as they can get a mug to work for!

3. My LA pays just under £10 per hour, contact time only.
    For primary that means 25 hrs a week, term time + 4 weeks stat. holiday pay.
    i.e £1100 per year.
    I've never yet seen a HLTA post that was for this many hours a week though.

4. Sorry, not enough noughts

£11000 per year

otherwise the pay would be REALLY ****!

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

Would this be before or after tax?

6. R13

R13 New commenter

You're hopeful . . . . .If it was after tax the post would pay more than a teacher.

In my experience I think £1,500 before tax would be more likely . . . but I'd suggest you ask the people who know rather than us

7. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I was talking about gross pay - before any deductions - £2000 a month take home would be a gross wage close to £3000 or £36000 per year!

8. Silly question then but you are obviously not on any sort of contract with the school?

9. No, am a temporary teacher until the end of the year, they say they like me and want to keep me, but they haven't made a decision on pay yet, so I was just wondering what it was likely to be. Thanks to everyone who has answered me.

10. I am a HLTA and contracted to work 30 hrs per week on a H5. My take home monthly salary is just under £800.

11. I'm L2, 23.75 hours per week, my take home salary is just over £770. [​IMG]

12. Goodness this has made me realise how lucky i am-36hr week and take home pay 1200 per month- my school is ESB special school and i love love love my job but its only a 12mth contract for now-heres hoping its renewed!I worked as 'cover supervisor' there first for a year on and off through a supply agency and just got on really well, fit in as my degree is in psychology so have a good understanding of the kids.

13. Hi, I am a TA working 26.5 hrs on H1 and 3.5 unqualified teacher for PPA cover, my take home is about £780 a month. From January I will be HLTA for the 26.5 hrs on H3, not sure what to expect salary wise but yours seems quite low for H5.

14. I am a HLTA working 30 hours per week term time. I take home £1270 per month. I think it depends on the borough you work for. I don't cover PPA but do cover some classes on an ad hoc basis.

15. You are seriously being underpaid and i would advise you to get it checked out.
    I am a level 2 TA working 30hrs a week and i take home £814.00 a month - HLTA's in my school take home approx £1,300.