1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay - When to ask about money new job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ChrisM15, Oct 12, 2016.

1. ChrisM15

ChrisM15 New commenter

Ok I'll give the back story so I dont get people just commenting about me being a 'money grabber' etc.

I went off sick last Autumn with stress and a car accident. I had a ridiculous timetable as an NQT+1, 15 classes, couldn't reuse any planning, teaching over 400 kids so marking was near impossible. Terrible HOD who has since left after being put on capability. I passed both my training and NQT with flying colours, graded Excellent, equiv Outstanding both years. I was off until April when I left without returning as I just couldnt face returning to the mess at my previous school. I was on MPS2.

I now have an interview tomorrow for a part time position which I feel is best. I need to be on at least MPS3 to make this position worthwhile. I have been told that most schools would have started me on MPS2 due to my past experience, age and that I did so well in my training year which would mean that I should technically be on MPS3 now anyway.

So... How do I approach the issue of money with this new position? Before, during, after? I simply can't do the job without making sure it pays enough so I dont want to have to negotiate after accepting. (If they offer it to me!). No idea so help appreciated please.

Thanks

- It might also matter that I'm a science teacher so being in a shortage subject might make a difference?

2. TrueFaith

TrueFaith New commenter

I would bring it up during the interview, perhaps when they ask if you have any questions (maybe ask a question about the role first if it makes you feel more comfortable).

They will have seen your current/last salary on your application form, so will know what your expectations are likely to be...

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Critically - you must discuss and agree this before you accept the job.

wanet and GLsghost like this.
  4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Always discuss and agree pay at the interview stage. There is no longer " transferability" between schools and pay is individually negotiated as part of the recruitment process.
    Being a scientist is likely to help but having a long term absence may work against you

GLsghost likes this.
  5. BYusuf

BYusuf Occasional commenter TES Careers peer advisor

During the interview is when you should approach the issue of money regarding the new position.

All the very best for your interview tomorrow.

6. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Critically, before an offer is made and accepted. There is no right to negotiate after the agreement is made.

7. wanet

wanet Star commenter

A good school should now touch this subject as part of the interview process. when asked are you still a firm candidate, typical at the final stage of the interview you could answer yes depending on the salary offered. that puts the ball in their court, or when asked if you have any questions. BUT don't accept without an offer of salary.

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

My advice would be a little different. In the light of personal experience I think it is better to wait to see if an offer is made to you. If it is, then you assume they want you and no-one else (unless everyone else has turned it down!) Before you accept you would need to be clear about the salary, and you would have to have that discussion. If you are the chosen candidate I think you are in a stronger position. Make sure that any verbal assurances are in writing and that in your formal letter of acceptance you include the terms on which you understand you are accepting the job.
    If they raise the issue during the interview, I would take @wanet's advice.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

But unfortunately that's not how contract law works.

If an offer is made it is open to withdrawal until accepted. If someone attempts to negotiate after an offer has been made, she has not accepted it and no contract exists. There is no duty on the offeror to repeat the offer.

Your tactic may work, especially if the school knows jack about contract law, but it is a risk.

10. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Agreed @GLsghost, the offer can be withdrawn at any point before it's been accepted. But you can't accept a post without asking what the salary is and if you are the chosen candidate you are in a stronger position to discuss and negotiate; if the school really wants you they may be willing to pay you that extra bit more or meet you half way. If you seriously won't or can't accept the post on the salary on offer and the school won't compromise in any way then I assume the OP would turn the post down or the school would withdraw its offer - either way being the solution for both parties.