1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay when off for snow?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by clairey179, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Hi I'm on supply and the school closed because of frozen pipes - they have been told (they contacted the council) that I should get half pay over the days they were close. This may vary in different areas so I would check it out.
    Hope that helps

2. In most of Canada, that is. This would never work here, where many people have to park on the roads because there is nowhere else to park.

3. All this talk about America and Canada is irrelevant because our weather patterns are much erratic than any of those countries. They know when snow is coming almost to the day. How many people could have predicted the last week or so? Anyway,it just isn't true that they cope so brilliantly, my brother lived on the East coast of the US for ten years and snow disrupted their lives regularly in the winter months. There are steps that can be taken but in the long run they are not cost effective when weighed against the reality of how often this happens. It is unfortunate that this incident have closely followed another serious snowfall earlier in the year but that is an unusual occurrence so needs to be treated as such.
    The majority of LAs will absorb the cost just as private companies will, if they don't then they will find probably find themselves in breach of contract if it is challenged. It is important to remember that most LA's Human Resources departments will try their luck and usually back down when challenged.
    If you are concerned then contact your union, if you aren't a member of a union then I really don't have much sympathy. You've made that choice so you have will have to swallow the consequences.

4. Perhaps CanuckGrrl you should try it then! My husband works for the council, not as a gritter or snow shoveller or anything such but because he is a manual worker that is what he is shifted to in this weather. Does this happen to teachers, or other indoor workers? No. He works in some pretty terrible conditions, often unsafe, and believe me, you would not, even with all available overtime, wish to earn what he earns. He takes all possible extra hours (doesn't mean they are paid at overtime rate by the way) and still does not earn what teachers earn in first year as NQT. He takes abuse from the public about lack of gritting and all other complaints. Terms and conditions have been eroded so much that he is required to work every Saturday and Sunday morning for six months of the year and it is not paid at an overtime rate. Public holidays no longer exist so they work them for no overtime rate. It is only in the last three years (he has worked for the same council for 22 years) that his pay has become properly salaried, until then the "bonus" system meant his salary for pension contributions by the council was only £7k. Oh yes, and until that same time, only SSP was awarded. Most council workers including office workers were sent home on days last week but not those such as my husband who had to get there in atrocious conditions, shovel and grit manually all day long, and get home in same atrocious conditions. I have no problem accounting for the time I worked (in fact our authority allowed staff to go in to school even when pupils off which made it easier) because this is preferable to them telling teachers to get out there and get shovelling!

5. DrSeuss

DrSeuss New commenter

Snow days are not holidays - for a start you can't leave the house? Our head directs us to work from home on snow days and we provide work for the pupils using the school website - so it's hardly a day in bed. Therefore yes, I expect to get paid.

6. What pish. Example: eastern Canada has been basking in 10C temps and more, almost unheard of for December. Weather patterns are by nature erratic, and weather forecasting is everywhere at best a hit-or-miss science.

7. Oh I agree. I lived in New York for seven years and four inches of snow there can bring evetything to a standstill......Sound familiar?[​IMG]

8. Hi, I'm an NQT and have no idea whether I'll get paid! My school was shut two days last week and so far two days this week. I know we don't get paid for being sick (I had to go into hospital and lost wages) but should I get paid if the school is officially shut?

Thanks,
    ~ Lauren

9. Hi
    Teachers with a contract will get paid if their school/college was closed. The Icelandic volcano was a totally different issue because the school /college was open but the member of staff could not attend as they were still abroad.
    There may be a problem if the school was open and a teacher could not get in to school but if the school is closed there is no doubt you will get paid.
    Joan

10. @thinkpinklauren - Are you saying you had your pay docked because you were in hospital? That's totally outrageous. (I'm assuming you saying you were sick means it wasn't elective surgery.)Get in touch with your Union. And if you're not in a Union, get in one.

11. I'm genuinely sorry to say your assertion there just isn't true. Assuming you're a teacher in England in an LA school, your contract - the Schoolteacher's Pay and Conditions document - states the following:
    Paragraph 77.4 - A teacher employed full-time must be available to perform such duties at such times and such places as may be specified by the head teacher (or, where the teacher is not assigned to any one school, by his employer or the head teacher of any school in which he may for the time being be required to work as a teacher) for 1265 hours in any school year, those hours to be allocated reasonably throughout those days in the school year on which he is required to be available for work.
    and paragraph 77.13 - <font face="Myriad-Roman">In addition to the hours a teacher is required to be available for work under sub-paragraph 4 or sub-paragraph 6, as the case may be, a teacher must work such reasonable additional hours as may be necessary to enable him to discharge effectively his professional duties, including, in particular, his duties under paragraphs 75.1.1 (preparing lessons) and 75.1.3 (assessment, recording and reporting) (my italics).</font>
    <font face="Myriad-Roman">I would love someone to have the guts to challenge this as an unfair clause to a contract! Remember how junior doctors used to have to work stupidly long hours? </font>

12. Why do you assume the poster works in England when this is the Scottish Opinion forum? We don't have the same contracts as those south of the border.

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Until you've worked 18 weeks, you're not entitled to sick pay.
    It's the same for supply teachers who work long term stints- each year we lose our sick pay entitlement, and get it back again about January because they break our service at the start of term.

14. Here in N.Ireland, we will have to pay back the two days our school was closed. There are 3 days at the end of the Easter break we have to keep clear in case of this. As if we don't make up the time many times over in our own time anyway!

15. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Can't you just keep a record of the work you normally do over and above your contracted hours until it comes to two days worth? What would they have you do on those three days during the Easter Break? Revision classes?

16. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

No, it isn't - SSP is a Westminster matter so applies across the UK. However, SSP is a relatively small amount and isn't anything like full pay, which probably wouldn't apply until 6 months in, but is up to the employer to decide anyway.