1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay when off for snow?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by clairey179, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Of course, which is why I'm going back to school with my Record of Work from Home all nicely printed out for anyone who asks for it.
    But I have also noted at the top of my record of work that I didn't attend school during the snow days not because I was "not able to attend my place of work" but because my place of work was closed by my employer. There's a big difference.

2. How? I'm not trying to be smart - just intrigued about what others do that we apparently can't [​IMG]

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

I'm not being smart either, but just to be more prepared I suppose?
    Same as you CG, record of work ready to be seen and as my place of work was SHUT, it's not my fault I wasn't there. If there were pupils to be taught and I wasn't there that is different. Tomorrow is in-service and we are to be there (school has no power today so was shut). I received a phone call earlier telling me HT wants every teacher at school tomorrow, so it's a 7am start tomorrow so I do the 40 miles in time. If there is no power we may get sent home early?

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I assume that they spend a lot of money on it.Probably have 20 times more gritters and so on.Also,maybe they don't build schools on top of hills and people live where they work,unlike Britain which has become a country full of housing estates where people live in order to commute silly distances to their work?

5. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

Because they get snow like this every year and it can go on for months. They KNOW it's coming they don't just think it could be a possibility. Therefore they have more equipment to deal with it and more experience of how to deal with it effectively. Also, this may be peculiar to my sister's city (Toronto) or province (Ontario), but each household is responsible for keeping the pavement outside their house clear of snow. A bit of David Cameron's 'big society' going on there! This may be an exaggeration but I've heard if someone slips and falls outside your house if you haven't cleared the snow effictively they may sue. Correct me if that's a myth, CanuckGrrl!

6. halfajack

No, they have plenty of commuters who travel across the city. They also have a very effective subway system, mind.

7. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Probably true.Also,they have a train sytem that doesn't stop at the first flake of snow!

8. Wrt post from Canuckgirl, how many hours are you putting down for your Record of Work from Home. I am going to write one out as well. However, LAs (especially mine - which is being very difficult about this whole situation) need to realise that for some of us, being at home also involves looking after children who also cannot attend school. We are not trying to shirk our responsibilities, we are just trying to get by!
    Velma

9. halfajack

Excellent point Velma!

10. Hi everyone
    It's intresting to read what everyone is saying about pay. We was told before the snow began that if the setting ws closed for snow or anything else, we would not recieve wages. There was no discussion on the matters, we are to just accept it, well I not quite taking it just that easily. As others have stated we all work extra hours in the setting and carry out the shopping in our time, and this is never noticed.
    I do think something has to clearly done so that everyone knows where they stand. I know I need my wages to pay the bills and will the post being part time every penny counts.

11. Don't know about it being a myth or not - but it makes sense for householders, and shopkeepers, to keep their frontage safe for others. I got some strange looks from my neighbours this week for going as far as clearing the road as well - I live in a cul-de-sac where the diggers & gritters never venture - to which my response was "Why not - what's the good of only clearing to your gate?"
    The problem I am now presented with is, if it keeps on snowing in its current volume, where on earth do I shovel it to - I've run out of room. [​IMG]
    And whatever happened to snow chains for cars? I'm sure it would be cheaper for LA's to provide everyone with a one-off set, than it is to keep (unsuccessfully) salting roads year after year.

12. It's true, depending on the local by-laws of your area. You're right about the experience and the inevitability of snow as well. It's a huge advantage to know that you're going to have to deal with it every year from November through April.
    A few more points about how Canadians do snow:
    1. You winterise your car---by November, you've got your snow tires on (in some provinces it's mandatory, either by law or for insurance purposes. Studded tires are best by far, and btw, 4WD vehicles are useless in snow without snow tires, both in Canada and the UK. You've also got a bag of salt ready for salting your drive and walkway. You don't go and pinch it from the council grit bin. There are no council grit bins. You have to buy your own salt---and it's available at any petrol station---or break your neck. You don't grouse about this. You just do it.
    2. If you own a house, you have at least one snow shovel in addition to a large snow scoop and in many cases a snow-blower. You may have to replace your snow shovel a couple of times if the winter is long or extra snowy.
    3. When the snow comes, you clear your driveway promptly, and if it is required by law in your area, the pavement in front of your house. You don't let it pile up and wait for it to melt. You know it's not going to melt until May. So you clear it out of the way.
    4. Canada probably has more and bigger gritters and ploughs, and snow-blowers too, big mean machines, not adapted farm tractors, like here. But that's not the point. The point is, they come out and clear the snow away as it falls, and they keep coming round as long as the snow is falling. When the snow stops, they come round again and again until it's all cleared away. I've seen a tractor once in my road this week. In Canada, it would come round daily, often a couple of times a day. And yes, in Canada, people complain about snow-clearing too!
    5. Here's a crucial thing: there are places to PUT the snow that's cleared away. It gets pushed to the side of the road and into waste areas. It gets trucked out and dumped into the river or bay. In most parts of Canada, roads don't double as parking lots: when snow clearing is to take place at night in many cities, you have to get your car off the road and park it somewhere else. This is impossible here, where many people have no choice but to park on the road.
    6. Big society? Maybe. But in Canada it's just common sense. Winter weather in Canada can kill you. You grow up with this mindset. So you help other people because someday you might need help. If someone needs a push or a shovel out, you just pitch in and help. You just do it. You certainly don't sit around and wait for the council to do it.

13. Why on earth should the council do that? If you need snow chains surely you should just buy them, not expect the council to provide them. (See my previous comment about how Canadians do snow.)

14. We did the same and eventually the neighbours pitched in.
    This to me is the biggest single problem with regard to snow-clearing in this country. You have to be able to put the stuff somewhere and in residential areas, the options are limited, whether you're clearing your own path or the plough is clearing the road.

15. halfajack

Tongue was firmly in cheek when I made that comment! I totally agree with your sentiment. It would take a cultural change here though after decades of being mothered by the state.

16. Shame on me - didn't word that particulalry well. [​IMG]
    I wasn't advocating that councils should actually do this - more trying to point out that, instead of wasting huge amounts of money year in year out by gritting, it would probably be more cost effective/far cheaper to spend their cash on snow chains for all.

17. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

Yes, snow chains are usually effective for getting a car out of a driveway or snow covered side road.
    The problem comes when you reach the main road that has been cleared. The snow chains then have to come off, if you are driving any distance, or they damage the tyres and the road.
    Try doing that two or three times on a journey!
    I believe snow tyre-socks are one possible, if expensive, solution. [​IMG]

18. Not to mention damage to the body of the car if they break and fly loose, and in some cases, damage to pedestrians---eeek! Chains are rarely used in Canada now and if I recall correctly, in many areas are not legal on public roads for all these reasons.

19. It's not all about money. Keeping roads clear is a public safety issue. It's not only commuters who are inconvenienced by this weather. Emergency vehicles---fire, ambulance, police---are all hampered by uncleared roads and lives are put at risk, so it's absolutely in the public interest to clear roads as quickly and as thoroughly as possible.

20. jubilada

jubilada New commenter

An additional problem nowadays is that all our side roads have speed bumps or islands sticking out, making the use of a snowplough on these roads impossible.