1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay when Moving to a New School

Discussion in 'Personal' started by kla148, May 2, 2018.

1. kla148

kla148 New commenter

I have verbally accepted a new job offer of UKS2 Leader in a new school. In my current school I will be moving onto M6 next year, as I'll be in my 6th year, but my new school are only offering me M5 with a TLR. I was surprised as with the TLR I wouldn't be earning as much in my current role, even though I have no leadership responsibilities.

I have a couple of questions:
    - is this normal?
    - how do I approach my new school about this?

I do not plan on moving school for more responsibility but less pay, including an additional commute too but I am unsure how to broach the subject?

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I would have thought this should all have been negotiated at interview.

If you have verbally accepted the post that is binding. I would be surprised if there is much room for further negotiation now in terms of you having the option to withdraw.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

They might intend to review at the autumn appraisals but have just offered based on what you are on now. It happens. As a headteacher, I moved to a bigger school for no extra money in the first year. You could ask if this will be reviewed in the autumn. Go and have a conversation.

kla148 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Surely if you accepted the post at interview but salary was not mentioned then you could now turn it down.

kla148 and colpee like this.
  5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

You've answered your own question.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Caoimhseach

Caoimhseach Lead commenter

Contact the new employer and withdraw your verbal acceptance.

kla148 likes this.
  7. border_walker

border_walker Established commenter

Why are there still teachers who do not realise that they must negotiate salary BEFORE accepting a post. this has been the case for years now, but sadly there are regular posts from teachers who make this mistake.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I always understood that offers were made based on your current pay grade. Part of the reason is that they dont know for sure that candates will have worked in at least 26 weeks of the current academic year, which used to be the qualifier for moving up the payscale each year.
    Pay progression is no longer automatic, however, so you would need to contact the new school and see if thy subscribe to automatic pay progression as your current school does.

9. border_walker

Oh dear - this is not correct. see all of the posts on here from teachers who have accepted posts and then found that their pay is less. There has been no pay portability for a number of years. some schools do however do this, but some don't.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

When would you anticipate the next round of pay progression to be?

In your current school, presumably you have the evidence of a number of years of data and results on which to base a pay review, but you won’t have that in your new post yet. Maybe they want to wait for evidence of your impact before awarding the next grade.

11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

That was the point I was making about how things used to be when there was automatic pay progression (after 26 weeks of service on a pay grade), and when there was pay portability, and how things might be now that those things are not guaranteed.
    I suggested that the OP contact the school for clarification.

12. border_walker

Sorry, I misunderstood you.

13. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

How do you broach the subject?

Drop the HT an email saying you have a small query about salary and you hope to be able to have a chat with them soon. Do they prefer to see you after school one day or are they happy to discuss it over the 'phone?

They might just respond and ask you to email them.

Just say:
    As I shall have completed five years by the end of July 2018 I was rather expecting to be on M6 plus the TLR at the start of the new academic year 2018 - 2019. I wonder if the M5 + TLR that's stated in my letter of offer is correct or whether there may have been a slight error. Could you clarify this for me, please?

14. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

M5 in one school can be quite different to M5 in another.
    Find out the actual salary and then compare.

kla148 and border_walker like this.
  15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Terminology is important.You have said the school are 'offering' you M5 with a TLR, which suggests negotiations are still in progress. If the salary advertised for the post was a range, you are perfectly entitled to negotiate within the range.

First, as @caterpillartobutterfly has advised, you need clarification on what M5 means at the new school. If you are correct and the total package on offer is less than you currently earn, you should point this out to the school and ask them to confirm that the correct offer should have been M6 + TLR.

16. kla148

kla148 New commenter

It is and their scale also has many more points in it before I could progress to the equivalent of M6

17. kla148

kla148 New commenter

I didn't know this and when I discussed it with my current colleagues nobody saw it as the norm to discuss salary at interview. The MPS was the advert so the only thing I asked was about progression to UPS.
    I won't make that mistake again.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

No teacher used to have to negotiate salary until recently. There used to be pay portability when joining a school mid-year, and automatic pay progression after having worked in 26 weeks of the previous academic year (until reaching the top of the relevant scale). Just 26 hald day sessions were enough to move up the payscale. I did that several times from erratic supply work, paid via the Local Authority. I never had to negotiate the progression to the next paypoint when moving around schools in my county.

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

You haven't made the mistake yet. You can still turn the job down if they won't match your current pay. There is a teacher shortage didn't you know. We are in a sellers market!