1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Upfront?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Chica21, Apr 7, 2012.

1. I am deciding whether to take a job at a second-tier school. At this point in my career and in the tough job market, I think this is the best I can do right now. One school is offering to pay my Master's degree upfront and I can pay them back over time. This seems good to me. I know great schools will pay for it all but for a second tier appointment, is this what I should expect? Is it quite usual and should I expect it from the other schools that are interested?

Thanks.

2. I am deciding whether to take a job at a second-tier school. At this point in my career and in the tough job market, I think this is the best I can do right now. One school is offering to pay my Master's degree upfront and I can pay them back over time. This seems good to me. I know great schools will pay for it all but for a second tier appointment, is this what I should expect? Is it quite usual and should I expect it from the other schools that are interested?

Thanks.

3. I paid for my own M.Ed. as did most other teachers I know with one. If it's that difficult financially you could wait till you get a position at a Tier 1 school I suppose...

4. Second tier is just that: second tier, which is to say right under the first one and pretty damn good. First tier schools are truly hard places to get a job at, so don't look down on yourself for not getting one. I am currently working in a thid tier school, and life ain't that bad believe me, especially after working in a 27th (and counting) tier school.
    That's because it is.

5. lovely.lady

lovely.lady Occasional commenter

This tier notion is all nonsense. I work in a school that purports itself as first tier but life there is dreadful and unprofessional! Give me gutsy, down to earth child-centred education without falsified results anyday!

6. I think the tier system is from a professional teachers perspective I suspect. It is clearly apparent from those who have any insight just where a school lies. In the current climate I feel that your hands may be tied and I would personally go with your gut feeling. Im not waiting for a 1st tier appointment. Time waits for no-one so just go ahead and take your chances. Experience is the best teacher. Good luck.

7. And you wonder why you are struggling to nail a post?
    You have a pm.

8. kemevez

kemevez Occasional commenter

Plenty posts that want what lovely lady is offering. Plenty want "tier" 1 teachers too. She will nail a suitable post, it tends to happen. Just not at some schools.

9. I was being facetious, Kems. I pm'd LL straight away to apologise for my ringness...