1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay *** up!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by carl81, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Just some advice really.
    I have just started a new school (jan this year) and got my first wage slip at the end of it.
    I got emergency taxed (fair enough, as no p45 in time) but they also managed to not pay me my TLR payment.
    On top of that they also deducted teachers pension contribution when I clearly told them I had opted out.
    I queried all this and they admit there mistakes.. but have said I have to wait until Feb till I get reimbursed.
    Problem is I have a mortgage, family and bills to pay for.. Having those 3 hits has took a massive chunk of money out that I need now.... not at the end of the month.
    That money is mine. Do I have any rights to demand it now?

2. Just some advice really.
    I have just started a new school (jan this year) and got my first wage slip at the end of it.
    I got emergency taxed (fair enough, as no p45 in time) but they also managed to not pay me my TLR payment.
    On top of that they also deducted teachers pension contribution when I clearly told them I had opted out.
    I queried all this and they admit there mistakes.. but have said I have to wait until Feb till I get reimbursed.
    Problem is I have a mortgage, family and bills to pay for.. Having those 3 hits has took a massive chunk of money out that I need now.... not at the end of the month.
    That money is mine. Do I have any rights to demand it now?

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You can't demand it and the tax issue is not their fault as you say you haven't been able to submit a P45 yet.
    The pension issue probably requires you to give them documentary evidence of having opted out, not just telling them. (You do realise that you pay more tax when opted out and also higher NI on your entire pay, don't you?)
    You can do what many teachers do when they start mid-month and miss the deadline for getting pay that month, namely to ask for an advance of part of your February pay. It would be paid by cheque or bank transfer.