1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay/Tax Code Confusion - Help!

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by beech23, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Hi guys,
    I haven't really taken my pay slip into account before, sounds silly I know but I just got it in my pigeon hole and put it in my bag rarely reading it knowing how much I get anyways. However last week I was having a discussion with an NQT and in passing she mentioned that she seems to be on more than me a month.
    Has anyone any wisdom on pay slips? I worked in Europe last year on my NQT and have now moved to a job in London. I am in London and pay student loan every month. I get a take home wage of £1492. Is this right? Or too low? The NQT also paying student loan is on £1560.
    As I worked in Europe last year I did not have a P45 form to give the HR girl. And she never came asking me for any other information.
    I am on M2 inner London. I pay 442 tax and 183 a month. My tax code is 2T - NC and after googling it I cannot find any info on that code/nor does it seem to be a standard code.

Any one on the same area/point able to compare?

Thanks!

E x

2. Hi guys,
    I haven't really taken my pay slip into account before, sounds silly I know but I just got it in my pigeon hole and put it in my bag rarely reading it knowing how much I get anyways. However last week I was having a discussion with an NQT and in passing she mentioned that she seems to be on more than me a month.
    Has anyone any wisdom on pay slips? I worked in Europe last year on my NQT and have now moved to a job in London. I am in London and pay student loan every month. I get a take home wage of £1492. Is this right? Or too low? The NQT also paying student loan is on £1560.
    As I worked in Europe last year I did not have a P45 form to give the HR girl. And she never came asking me for any other information.
    I am on M2 inner London. I pay 442 tax and 183 a month. My tax code is 2T - NC and after googling it I cannot find any info on that code/nor does it seem to be a standard code.

Any one on the same area/point able to compare?

Thanks!

E x

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If the NQT started in September, and did not have any taxable income earlier in the tax year, they would be on a higher take home pay because their annual tax allowance is being spread over less months. Your own postion is complicated by the fact that you have worked abroad and provided no evidence of your earlier earnings. Your best bet is to assemble all the information on your pay and tax payments in Europe and then give the tax people a ring. It is unlikely that thye will be able to get your tax right without that information.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I don't know what you googled beech but when I google tax codes the HMRC page that explains them is top of the list! It explains 2T. It doesn't mention a code NC but it does list the code NT, is that what you meant? Either way I agree with Piranha, gather your paperwork together and call HMRC helpline and find out what you need to do, it's clear from HMRC explanation of codes that yours are what they use when they haven't had enough information from you to tax you correctly.
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/codes-basics.htm