1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Pay taken out of my supply pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by esturges01, Jan 19, 2019.

  1. esturges01

    esturges01 New commenter

    I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice.
    I was called in to do a days supply at my previous school.
    A few months later I had to ask about my pay and where my pay slip was. When they then sent it through it had 3/4s of it deducted because of overpayment. However, I left at the end of the school year and had been paid the same amount each month. I wasn’t told this was happening and it seems they only called me in so that they could do this.
    I wanted to know if this is allowed, where i stand legally and what I can do about it?
    Thank you for any help.
  2. FrankWolley

    FrankWolley Star commenter

    I think you need to either go back and ask for the details, in writing, and justification for this, and go to your Union if not satisfied...or just go straight to your Union.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. Piranha

    Piranha Star commenter

    I am surprised they felt able to do this without telling you in advance. However, if there really was an overpayment, I believe they are entitled to claim it back. So I think your next step depends on whether you agree you were overpaid. If so, I can't see any point in trying to take it further. If not, then, as suggested above, asking for justification and then involving your union seems sensible.
    JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. JohnJCazorla

    JohnJCazorla Star commenter

    Though correct this isn't that clear-cut. You paid tax and NI on that wage, you also need some proof that the money has been calculated correctly this time (though it's a lot easier if it's the same employer). At least ask for a breakdown.
    I don't get this, as @Piranha says they can claim it back anyway so why pay you even more money just to deduct some from it? So you definitely need an explanation as well as union involvement.
    Piranha likes this.

Share This Page