1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PAY - Supply rates

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Samoneypennyteacher, May 15, 2017.

1. Samoneypennyteacher

Samoneypennyteacher New commenter

I'm currently in a contract, thoroughly fed up and considering leaving to do supply. When I've previously done supply I've early between 90-110 a day (Supply desk and Reed) One agency years ago paid me £120 (Capita). Agencies are so cagey about what rate they will pay you and will only tell you during the interview. Ridiculously I'm told in this area the maximum schools can afford is £110 when the next county pays £120 for the same agency. Sadly it's an hours drive away. My sister does supply in the next county, hence me knowing what she gets paid from the same agency. So... am curious for advice on pay rates and why they vary so much! One agency kept me on the same rate for 5 years but kept charging the schools more each year.

2. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Think of a small umber and halve it.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Pay can be summed up as "Whatever the most powerful party can get away with". So I'm currently on £195 a day, medium-term maths, West Yorkshire due to pushing hard and it being me or nobody.

This will end at half-term and then I'll be scratting around and probably settling for £130 a day. Not because I've suddenly got worse but my negotiating power will have weakened.

BetterNow, Alldone and pepper5 like this.
  4. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

This is why teachers unions need to be fighting for supply teachers.

You can try asking for more but might end up not getting any work if they can get cheaper labour somewhere else.

Try signing up with new agencies and askingg for a bit more than you want. Hopefully they will offer you what you deserve.

cys2017 and BetterNow like this.
  5. JohnJCazorla

As a supply teacher (and ex-union rep) I can't see how the unions can stand up for supply teachers, even assuming that the antipathy from permanent teachers can be overcome.

If the union could successfully agitate for a decent minimum wage for supply then the same for 'proper' teachers would have already been done (and it hasn't).

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

£90 per day means that if you work all the 190 pupil days you will earn £17,100 in a year and no pension.

Work on the tills at your local Aldi for 40 hours per week and you'll earn more than that, and get a pension.

tonymars, Landofla and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. Landofla

@JohnJCazorla the unions could force agencies to contribute to the TPS for a start.

The unions could do a lot more than they do. I would love to be in the tube drivers union - look how successful they have been!

8. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

And for NQT's, quit teaching and apply for the graduate schemes at Aldi - £42000 starting salary rising to £73400 after 4 years. Plus a company car (Audi A4)

9. Landofla

@Alldone no way!! I want to joinnnnnn!!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Alldone

Alldone Senior commenter

Forgot to mention the private health care after 4 months of joining, and the opportunity to work for Aldi in the USA or Australia. I really don't know how young teachers can be expected to live on what is it - £22000 a year, and have a load of debt as well.

schoolsout4summer and Landofla like this.
  11. JohnJCazorla

Just got a further offer from another agency for after half-term so it looks like I'll swing £160 a day to the summer. Still riding my luck with maths being in demand in West Yorkshire.
    Most likely you are also in NUT/NASUWT and despite the unions being in general agreement about what needs to happen. The workforce (you and I again) have not backed strike action (or even action short of....) sufficiently. The tube drivers have clout because they've been prepared to use the strike option and the employers know it.
    The same teachers who can't understand the need to take action for themselves are going to take action for supply teachers?
    Supply teachers are going to collectively boycott an agency?

I agree strongly with nearly all of your posts (not just here) but I can't see how a union can act with the current teacher apathy.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Agencies contributing to the TPS as employers can't happen and neither can agency supply teachers be opted-in to the TPs. the reason is that agency supply teachers are not being paid on the Teachers' Payscale and pensions years in the TPS are all linked to the official payscales.

Also, many agency supply teachers are being paid through Umbrella Companies, so the agency claims not to be the emplyer. the set-up basically makes out that the teachers are self-employed, even though self-employed people normally name their own price for the work that they do.

13. Landofla

@jubilee the only reason is that the agencies refuse to become affiliated with TPS. If they agreed, then contributions could be made. This is what I was told when I called the gov pensions advisory service, TPAS.

14. Landofla

@JohnJCazorla and I almost always agree with you too :) unfortunately, teachers are more often than not, unwilling to stand together. Hmmmm where there's a will, there's a way. I'll keep thinking for now...

schoolsout4summer likes this.
  15. splinters

splinters Established commenter

This puzzles me. I teach what is pretty much a dying (non ebacc) subject and always had 185 a day or more. Last offer in a PRU with just 3 hours of lessons a day was 195. Even general cover was 120 a day.

tonymars likes this.
  16. Samoneypennyteacher

Samoneypennyteacher New commenter

Seems everyone is getting more then I'd expect. Shame I'm too old for Aldi!!

splinters likes this.
  17. JohnJCazorla

Are you inside the M25? It is rumoured 'up North' that the streets are paved with gold there:cool:

18. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Remember Dick Whittington. There's your answer - get yourself a ***** and make your way to the Golden City - a bit like that Fox, or was it Owl?

19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Why on earth has the word pusssy been starred out when I was simply suggesting that the OP should get themselves a cat?

tonymars likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

London is a supply desert, avoid it.

WildKyogre and schoolsout4summer like this.