1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scales

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by gergzzz, Nov 20, 2015.

1. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

Gutted - I am starting a new full time permanent position after Chrismas. At present I work part time as a Senco on Ups 2 plus sen 1. I just got a letter today saying I will be paid on MPS 3 and thAt this will be reviewed as part of the PMC at the end of the year or earlier, if sufficient evidence of application of experience is available. As the position is a class teacher I knew I would loose my Sen and leadership Ups2 but I thought I would be on mp6. I have been teaching for over 20 years and went through threshold years ago and I have been on ups2 for at least 5 years. I feel gutted. They may as well have offered me nqt starting wages.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sorry to say your story is but the latest in long line from people who have posted similar experiences. The question to you though, as it has been to others, is why did you accept a job without knowing what the salary was?

What was the job advertised as? What was offered at interview? Was salary discussed at interview?

Is there scope for negotiation? You are in a difficult position as presumably you have resigned your current job and need work after Christmas. However, if they think you might leave after a term if they don't increase your salary they might increase it - you leaving after a term might leave them in a difficult position too

Have you got their pay policy (eg from their website)? Quite a lot of schools have retained pay portability in their own pay policies even though it doesn't exist nationally any longer.

3. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

It was advertised as MPS/UPS. It wasn't really mentioned but I did say what I was on. I have a letter offering me the job but I don't think they have collected the references yet. I was offered the job before half term. Thanks for your response

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!

When they rang to offer the post, they should have told you what salary they were offering . . . and you should have had a chance then to say M6 equivalent or it's no.

M6 equivalent
    because as there are no longer any national payscales, M6 doesn't exactly exist any more, although the school may have re-invented it for its pay policy since it talks of M3.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Have you resigned? If they haven't yet asked for references (how weird - they should have asked before interviewing you - are you sure the haven't asked for them?), then your job offer isn't yet secure, never mind the salary, so have you resigned in time to begin after Christmas?

Best wishes

5. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

There seems to be lots going on in the school - a number of vacancies have come up there. I have been offered the job pending references, health check ect . I know I was expecting the references to be collected first. Do you think MPS 3 is equivalent to the old MPS 6? I could cope with that or if it's the old MPS 3 they are expecting me to take over 10,000 reduction? Thanks for your help

6. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

Yes I'm ready to start after Christmas

7. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

Their pay policy isn't on the website.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Neither of them exist any longer nationally. Any school can have whatever pay points it likes and call them whatever it likes. If the job is on STPCD terms of employment there is a minimum and maximum to the MPS scale, but if it's not then the salary range could be anything.

Offering you a job and telling you the salary is "MPS3" is meaningless, they have to tell you the actual salary in £.

Have you accepted the (conditional) offer they gave you?

Have you resigned from your current job?

9. gergzzz

gergzzz New commenter

Yes and yes thanks for your help.

10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It shocks me that schools are stil not being clear when offering jobs. they should say which scale you are being employed on and what the actual salary is, If they are using the old MPS1 etc, there should be a guide to what each point is worth. And, why on earth do some schools not take up references before interview?

My guess would be that it is the old MPS 3 raised by a couple of percent, but the only way of being sure is to check with the school. It is sad that teachers are still not aware of the need to negotiate pay before accepting a job. Perhaps the unions could have made more of it.

11. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Reading this (& other recent threads) says to em that, if I were looking for a job today, I would only accept conditionally ("assuming we can agree on my salary") unless the matter is discussed and agreed during the interview.