1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Scaled 2020-21

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DoeRayEgon, May 18, 2020.

1. DoeRayEgon

DoeRayEgon New commenter

Hi all

I can’t find anywhere the pay scales for the next school year - September 2020.

I know where were suggested percentage increases put out there but where they settled on and does anyone have the pay scales they can share?

I’ve been on supply for a while but I’m starting a new job in September on M5 and was wondering what that will be.

cheers

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

These days M5 means anything the school wants it to mean. Ask the school directly what M5 means in their pay policy in terms of £, not pay points. It's different in different schools.

install likes this.
  3. install

install Star commenter

Agree with above

Check your contract . What type of school is it?

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Pay scales for September only get announced in August - or even later in recent years.

However we do know what the DfE proposed in January, it's discussed on this thread

https://community.tes.com/threads/teacher-pay-update-21-1-2020.798772/

AFAIK nothing has progressed on this since January.

Generally whatever the DfE proposes to the School Teachers [pay] Review Body is what happens but given everything that's happened since January who knows what the final decision will be.

As others have said DfE no longer decide what "M5" means, it's up to each school to decide whether it even has an M5, let alone what it is. As schools don't normally decide their September Pay Policy until the DfE has formally made a national announcement it's unlikely the school you are going to has any idea yet what your pay will be in September. Ask them, but expect the answer 'not yet decided'.

strawbs likes this.
  5. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

You could realistically ask them what you'd be being paid if you were on their payroll right now. You could then add a percentage - a small one - if you were optimistic, or add next to nothing if you were realistic.
    The only thing we can guarantee for you on here is that M5 is a motorway.

6. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

The table below shows what the government recommended to the STRB earlier this year. The STRB were asked to make a decision in April, but so far they haven’t.
    m5 is currently £33 009 with a possibility of a 3.2% rise in September. 95AE97AF-1691-46F9-99E5-7CA00A074160.jpeg

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Where doe this come from, please? STPCD, which as far as I know is the official source of such things, only has minima and maxima for the various scales, not M1, M2 etc.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

It's from the DfE Submission to the STRB for the September 2020 pay scales. I posted it earlier in the thread (or maybe on another thread). Actually DfE gave STRB 3 options, this is only one of them The options are in the Submission at paragraphs 61, 64 and 67 (and London options in Annex A).

https://assets.publishing.service.g...ta/file/859208/STRB_Written_Evidence_2020.pdf

It is odd that DfE provide pay points for M1 - M6 even though they abolished those in STPCD some 5 years ago! In paragraph 57 they describe them as "advisory pay points" although DfE haven't previously felt the need to publish such advice. And in the methodology section in Annex B, paragraph B2, explain that

"The model begins by allocating teachers to one of nine spine points, [ie M1 - M6 and U1 - U3] which are based on the spine points that existed prior to the reforms of 2014 being uplifted in line with subsequent awards – in line with those that continue to be published by teacher unions."
    DfE might as well just put pay points back into STPCD!. They probably won't, they'd lose face.

As previous poster noted STRB Report is usually out by now but as far as I can see has still not appeared.

9. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks, @Rott Weiler. Yes, it does seem odd. But perhaps they could go back now - one you have changed the minister in charge of education, you can change what they did.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  10. Mr-Mathematics

Mr-Mathematics New commenter

I certainly hope they revert back. Another gem hidden in the government evidence to STRB is a recommendation to consider scrapping the upper pay spine and replace it with M1-M9. Which would be extremely good in my opinion.

Rott Weiler likes this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

With the financial fallout of the current situation, I’d be surprised if any pay rise goes through for September.

12. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

I will be surprised if it doesn’t go through.
    The Tory manifesto was to raise teacher’s starting salaries to 30k by 2022/23.They have already hinted they won’t break manifesto pledges.