1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Scale

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by tp567, Jan 29, 2011.

1. tp567

tp567 New commenter

Hello there,

Just a query, I have not taught in schools for the last 3 years as I have been creating and developing my company (education based). I have had the opportunity to cover a temporary maternity post in a local school and wanted to dip back in for professional development. I gave the school evidence that my last post in 2007 I was on MPS 4 but have now been put back on MPS 4. Firstly, is it the Head or HR who makes the decision, and is it worth it to push this? Advice apprectiated thx.

2. tp567

tp567 New commenter

Hello there,

Just a query, I have not taught in schools for the last 3 years as I have been creating and developing my company (education based). I have had the opportunity to cover a temporary maternity post in a local school and wanted to dip back in for professional development. I gave the school evidence that my last post in 2007 I was on MPS 4 but have now been put back on MPS 4. Firstly, is it the Head or HR who makes the decision, and is it worth it to push this? Advice apprectiated thx.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Did you work for a whole year on MPS4? Or less?
    The deciding factor will be whether you were employed during at least 26 weeks during the academic year that you were on MPS4. So if you work September to Easter then you would now be entitled to MPS5, whereas if you just worked September to December, then legally you are only entitled to MPS4 as a minimum.
    www.tesfaq.co.uk/pay

4. tp567

tp567 New commenter

Yep, I worked through 2007 and was paid until the end of the school year (august 31st) to begin my new role in September... i don't suppose it matters if i was part time then, it is 26 weeks all the same??

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Nope, full-time, part-time, one lesson a week - it's all the same so long as it was over 26 weeks.