1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale Progression and Special Measures

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by jehayes1985, Jun 30, 2015.

1. Hi all,

This is my first post on TES forum! Hoping to get some advice on an issue that has really angered me this morning.

I joined my current school in January 2015 (this year) and have been working towards my Appraisal targets and so far, meeting at the requirements that would entitle me to going up the pay scale in September.

When I asked this morning why I hadn't heard any information with regards to my application to moving from M6 to UPS1, I got the response that "Well, last years because we are in special measures they just told everyone they wouldn't be getting it, any form of pay increase".

I am banking on this pay increase; I have my second child on the way and this is life changing!! It will have a significant impact upon my family.

Wow. So, my questions are this:

<ol>
    [*]Is this legally allowed? Using OFSTED as an excuse to make blanket judgements on who deserves a pay increase - I wasn't even here when the school went in to special measures!
    [*]What is the point of even carrying out Appraisal if there is no relevance?
    [*]If I am meeting my targets, should this mean that I am able to progress, regardless of school OFSTED reports, which have been improving?
    </ol>
    Thanks for any help you can offer.

Jonathon

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Firstly well done on the increasing family! We all need more children, you are doing us a favour. [​IMG]

Now for your questions:

Every school makes its own decisions on pay. They have a Pay Policy and this decides what the pay will be for everyone.

For the general raising of standards for the benefit of the pupils.

Only if the School Pay Policy says so.

I'm sorry to be giving you the bad news . . . I suggest that you go and speak to either the School Business manager of the Deputy Head and ask what the Pay Policy is.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each

3. Thanks! Glad we could be of service!

And, damn! I'll take your advice and begin looking into this a little more deeply. Cannot believe this situation, seems rather unfair.

4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Are you on STPCD?

5. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Are you using your real name?