1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale in independent

Discussion in 'Independent' started by jmkelly, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Hello all,

a bit of a query and I feel a bit cheeky, but here it goes! I left a permanent post last December at M3 because, essentially, I wanted to find a way into an 'alternative' school. So I decided to supply for a bit while I job-hunted. I essentially had little more than five days out of work in that time, and have now found myself starting in a very lovely independent school (exactly what I was after). I've just received my contract with my pay - and they have placed me on M3. Would it be cheeky of me to ask to be moved up to M4 as it's my fourth year? We never really discussed pay, which I'm realising was somewhat foolish! I really like the job and don't mind, but as I've agreed to only do 4 days rather than 5, the extra from M4 would help!

Any advice would be appreciated!

JK

2. Hello all,

a bit of a query and I feel a bit cheeky, but here it goes! I left a permanent post last December at M3 because, essentially, I wanted to find a way into an 'alternative' school. So I decided to supply for a bit while I job-hunted. I essentially had little more than five days out of work in that time, and have now found myself starting in a very lovely independent school (exactly what I was after). I've just received my contract with my pay - and they have placed me on M3. Would it be cheeky of me to ask to be moved up to M4 as it's my fourth year? We never really discussed pay, which I'm realising was somewhat foolish! I really like the job and don't mind, but as I've agreed to only do 4 days rather than 5, the extra from M4 would help!

Any advice would be appreciated!

JK

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting a lovely job! Have you read all the advice and information about life in Indy schools in the Welcome thread at the top of the page?
    Are you saying that in a maintained school you would be on M4?
    If so, pop and see the Bursar, or Businessanager, and say that you wonder if there's been a little slip-up here, as you are on M4.
    Be prepared for them to say No, because of course they can pay you whatever they like, their salary scale does not have to reflect the maintained sector one at all, but perhaps normally it does, and so this IS a slip-up!
    Let us know what happens.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars