1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Scale in Guernsey

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by elskeffington, Feb 3, 2007.

1. I am considering applying for a vacancy at a school in Guernsey, but I am wondering about the pay scale, as I get contradictory information.

The ad says that 'Pay scales on Guernsey are higher than in England and Wales and the Upper Pay Scale (UPS) has been fully funded to UPS3. From the point of view of taxation personal allowances are larger (currently £16500 pa for a married couple) and there is a flat rate of income tax of 20%. Teachers can transfer their pension rights into (and out of) the Guernsey scheme'.

I have read from a previous post that an NQT (which I would be) can only expect about £14000 per year, but the above seems to indicate it would actually be slightly higher than in mainland UK (which is around 20k).

Can someone actually tell me how much I should expect?

2. I am considering applying for a vacancy at a school in Guernsey, but I am wondering about the pay scale, as I get contradictory information.

The ad says that 'Pay scales on Guernsey are higher than in England and Wales and the Upper Pay Scale (UPS) has been fully funded to UPS3. From the point of view of taxation personal allowances are larger (currently £16500 pa for a married couple) and there is a flat rate of income tax of 20%. Teachers can transfer their pension rights into (and out of) the Guernsey scheme'.

I have read from a previous post that an NQT (which I would be) can only expect about £14000 per year, but the above seems to indicate it would actually be slightly higher than in mainland UK (which is around 20k).

Can someone actually tell me how much I should expect?

3. I haven't got the pay scales in front of me but will try to lay my hands on them during the week and repost for you.

As for coming to Guernsey, you'll find the job similar in many ways but there are some bonuses. I would say that, in general, schools respect your right to personal time for yourself and I am certainly not encouraged to stay on at school late or turn up during weekends. With no SATs to contend with, the system is fast recognising the opportunities to broaden and enliven the curriculum.

The pay is definitely better over here higher up the scale but the cost of living over here shouldn't be underestimated! It's expensive! Bread is usually £1+ a loaf, milk at 70p a litre. Petrol is cheaper.

Rent is EXPENSIVE but, presuming you will be aiming for a one bedroom flat, you'll have a fair chance of finding something suitable. Expect to rent a flat at about the price you would pay for renting a house in England. House prices are beyond single wage earners in Education.

That said, if you are looking for a lovely, friendly place to live where the climate is fantastic, the beaches beautiful and the pace of life something akin to England of the 1950s then I can't recommend Guernsey highly enough! Teaching is less stressful, in my opinion, and there's lots of the c**p missing that we have to put up with in the UK.

I'll get the payscales posted in the week for you. Good luck.

4. It sounds like an amazing place to live and work!

5. It certainly sounds very tempting! Thanks for the heads up!

6. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

Have you gone off the idea of the Falklands then Rich-100? I noticed an advert this week in TES for teachers there.

7. well it is all island life isn't it ..... I will just have a look at the advert there. It is a pity that you ahve to teah fo at least 3 years, preferably 5 years to teach in the fakklands :(

8. I interviewed for a school on Guernsey in 1996.

A certain E..... 'College', state funded.

At that time I was told (by the school) that Guernsey pensions were interchangable with England and Wales pensions scheme and I was told the salary was £31k sterling (gross)

This later turned out to be rubbish. The salary was £16k (gross), and the pension was not interchangable with the mainland's scheme.

May be this situation has changed.

Also I discovered the island's very high cost of living (accommodation is very limited) and the high expense of getting to and from the island by boat or plane was not in any way compensated by the supposed low taxes on the island.

Nice place but a cross between Britain in the 1950s and God's Waiting Room for retirees. Amazing there are any kids there at all.

9. House prices are beyond single wage earners in Education..

If this is really true it means the salary is enough for a bedsit! (Unless you can find a local lass or boy and then you can get cheap(er) housing more easily.

Do your sums before you go to the interview.

Flying to Guernsey is more expensive than flying with Easyjet to the majority of their mainland Europe destinations...

It is all very well having cheap petrol, but drive too fast and you end up falling off the other end of the island...

10. I have to admit that there is some truth in what smirk says.

Don't, however, consider driving above the 35mph speed limit or they'll take your license away for at least a month AND post your name and address in the local paper!

Find a local 'partner' and you'll certainly find it easier. Immigrant workers like us are give a Rateable Value linked to your salary. Houses are also given rateable values which you have to match closely when renting or buying. This doesn't apply if you are renting one-bedrooms.

We considered buying when we arrived but my rateable value is 50 as I am on the SMT. Houses in the same rateable value range are at least £370K+ and rent is upward of £1400 a month - we are paying £1450! Things are tough financially but I am so glad I brought the family here, if only for a few years.

The relocation package is good though for the first two years as they not only bring you over but give you rent rebate for two years as long as you stay. Or at least they did two years ago when I came.

Balance it up once you have the salary scales.

11. I moved to Guernsey 2 years ago and love it here. Yes the wages are better than the UK and the Tax is only 20% rlate rate. Petrol is alos on 49p p/l. The house prices are rediculous and most teachers only get a 5 year working licence, which means you have to leave unless you get promoted and are offered a longer licence.

The cost of travelling to and from the UK is expensive if you don't book well in advance.

However the advantages are the Island is fantastic. It is very European but with British TV. The resturants are great and the summers a hotter and longer than the UK.

It is like living abroad but with the benefits of the UK.

I have included a link for the Guernsey pay scale. If you want anymore info give me a shout.

http://www.nasuwt.org.uk/Shared_ASP_Files/UploadedFiles/E2368D6E-A85B-467F-9856-ABAB93CD40BA_Guernsey2006.xls

Barney

12. Thank you Barney and Thank you Smirk. The post I have applied for is precisely the E.... College, so it's good to know that I really have to pay attention to the wage package.

The job seems to tick all the boxes in terms of quality of life and quality of teaching, but I have to admit the cost of accomodation is scary!

13. When you come over for interview, the Education Department should give you a rundown of the cost of living etc and guidance about housing so you'd have plenty of opportunity to find out more.

Also, the person dealing with applications at the Department should be a good source of information when you are shortlisted.

Good luck!

14. Hey I work for EC. It's not my job you are applying for? Why didn't the school tell me!

To be honest it is a great school good luck.

15. I never thought it was a 'bad' school; but when you turn up for a job interview and in fact the salary is a 'fraction' of what you had been told on the phone and the information about pensions did not add up with that supplied by the DFEE, then you can understand why I did not bother taking it.

Anyone in England who has 5-10 years of experience and accepts something like HoY or HoH can expect £40k+, and if you live in a cheap area of UK like Norfolk, Lincs or Barrow in Furness, this is a considerable amount of spending power which is not going to be compensated by the supposedly low taxes on Guernsey.

If you are under 25 maybe a bedsit is acceptable... if you have family it is a bit difficult to see how to make ends meet.

16. I agree with your statement. But that is not any schools fault. The same problem is heard in all expensive ares of the UK e.g London or Cornwall. Teachers maybe given a fairly good wage but it can't buy you a garage!

If we all wanted to make loads of money then we went into the wrong job!

I just love living in Guernsey and am enjoying the experience, I know I will never be well off!

17. The other problem is promotion. Unless you marry someone on the island the chances of promotion or staying long term are next to nil.

What about the pensions? If the Guernsey pension scheme is still not interchangable with the mainland, it is going to put off most punters....

London or Cornwall is not the same thing. At least in London you can commute, there is an allowance albeit piddly, and the possibilities of employment for your partner are infinitely greater than those on Guernsey.

Money IS an important consideration. A move to Guernsey in your 20s for the experience might look good on your CV. However, moving with a family is not going to help pay a mortgage. And once out of the UK property market it is hard to get back in (unless there is a crash sometime soon!)

Some bits of Cornwall are cheap and access to international flights from Bristol and Southampton is pretty good... not quite the case for the Channel Islands unless you have a lot of cash.

18. Barney,

your link is for pay for senior staff. What is the gross salary for a normal teacher with 5 years' experience?

A lot of UK schools can give financial help in moving, buying a place and in some cases provide accommodation.

What does Guernsey offer staff?

Internationally it is a bit of a back water. Liechtenstein- no tax, skiing in the winter. Monte Carlo is nice. Luxembourg is too expensive for the quality of the restaurants and frankly the only places I am interested in teaching are Switzerland, Austria, southern Germany or Norway where your wages (assuming you are in a state school) really are decent.

19. you do appear to look upon things with a negative view smirk, yes it may be expensive and not for you, and the poster may have asked for opinions but if they want to go there then they will know about the chances of promotion etc and it is up to them how they cope when they return. Lets just stick to the facts of it all, and money does not always bring happiness.

20. You could stay if you married a local. In terms of promotion, you would get a 5 year licence in the first instance and they advise that it would not be extended (although I know of at least two people who have had 2 year extensions but then asked to leave the island after that).

If you are in the position of being promoted, some jobs, like deputy head, carry a 15 year licence and then you are allowed to stay past that. That said, you would still be subject to rateable value as I mentioned in my previous post, which would govern what you could do as far as renting and buying is concerned.

When I came to Guernsey, I had to transfer my pension into the Guernsey scheme, AVCs too, although Guernsey don't support AVCs so they were translated into pensionable days and added to my main pension. I don't see any problem with that as the Guernsey and UK system allow the transfer back and forward if you return to the UK afterwards.

As for the payscale, the previous link is ok, just look for the additional tab at the bottom of the page that says 'Classroom teacher' and all the info is there.

Guernsey does have a lot to offer, despite what Smirk says. It just depends on what you want out of life. If you want the high life and lots of 'organised' activities and nightclubs then definitely don't come. If you want mild climate, lovely views, great places to walk, good beaches, fantastic summers and a quiet pace of life then Guernsey is for you.

If you choose to come, come with the understanding that housing and cost of living is expensive. Know that there is not a lot of high-powered extra-curricular activites. I've been here over two years now and am satisfied I made the right choice for me and my family, despite the financial difficulties. I've already begun to plan my next step as I know I'm not staying in Guernsey. I'll never regret the time I've spent here, either personally or professionally.