1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale help

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by kellyShep8, Sep 12, 2020.

1. kellyShep8

kellyShep8 New commenter

Hello all,
    I have a query regarding pay scales and salaries that I hope somebody could help clear up for me. For the academic year 20/21 I will be going into my 5th year of teaching. As of my previous pay check I was paid on spine point M3. I have recently spoken to a friend who has a year less experience as me, though we get paid the same. We thought this was strange as it should go up each year, if not told otherwise. I have never been told I was not getting a pay increase, though this seems as though it has happened at some point? Am I right to have concerns about this and is there anything I can do to move up the pay scale if this is appropriate?

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

You will need to consult your own school's pay policy. There are NO mandatory pay points such as M3 (although the unions recommend their use). Your school may not have automatic pay progression up the scale at all.

Piranha and kellyShep8 like this.
  3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Also the 2020-21 pay scales have not yet been finally approved and published in STPCD. At one time the DfE had no difficulty in getting the new pay scales consulted on, approved and published before the end of the summer term so that schools could have them in place by 1st September. In recent years the delay in publishing them has got worse and worse. They are now not expected to be formally published until until mid October.

Schools will still backdate increases to 1 September 2020 but that is unlikely to be paid to you until November or even December.

The draft payscales are here. They are out for consultation. It's highly unlikely any of the proposals will change because of the consultation but theoretically they could change between now and October.

https://blog.epm.co.uk/payroll-pensions/school-teachers-pay-award-2020-2021-update

Note that the various pay points in the draft - eg M3 - are only advisory, not mandatory. Your school can adopt a different salary for M3 if it chooses to.

kellyShep8 likes this.