1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale for additional relevant experience

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by aduffy74, Jul 14, 2011.

1. I have just finished my probation year and am lucky enough to have a full time permanent contractas a maths teacher. I worked for 12 years in in the electronics industry which I have been advised is relevant experience. Which pay scale should I be on? How do I negotiate this with my local authority?
    Many thanks

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Typically such requests for previous experience to be taken into account are made upon appointment as an NQT. So if you were on M1 last year, you will progress to M2 in September. It is unlikely that industrial experience will be recognised in the current climate, unless it is specifically in education or a related discipline, but you can ask.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

And you don't negotiate with the LA, you discuss the issue with your headteacher, since school budgets are not in the control of the LA.
    I'd say your chances of persuading the head to up your pay now - given that you've already done a year on M1 - are very low indeed.