1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale following supply

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by silver321, Feb 15, 2011.

1. I returned to a fixed term teaching post in September following some time as a supply teacher. I was told by paryroll that I was on a scale 4, having left my previous fixed term teaching post 4 weeks from being moved to a scale 5. I was, however, told that if I was able to provide evidence that I had worked for 26 consecutive weeks doing supply teaching, that I would be put on a scale 5 and that this would be back dated to September.

Having gained the relevant information from the supply agency, the payroll dept have now stated that the information given to me by them was incorrect. They have now told me that they do not take into account supply teaching gained through a private agency.

Does anyone have any similar experience of this? I am left a little confused and rather annoyed that I thought I was owed a lump sum of money only to be told that I was given the wrong information when I originally spoke to the payroll dept.!

Thank you.

2. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'm afraid they're right that they don't have to count supply work done through an agency.

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

yes, you need to have worked in 26 separate weeks of the school year (p/t or f/t) for an LA employer to move up the scale in the nnext school year.
    If the work is an LA contract (permanent or fixed term) you can count weeks when you were on paid school holiday and weeks when you were off sick.

You mention having left a fixed term contract 4 weeks before moving to Scale 5. That's confusing as 4 weeks before pay progression on 1st September means that you left the contract at the start of August.
    When did you start the fixed term contract? When did youleave? Were you employed by an LA or an agency? Did you do any other supply work in that school year for an LA supply register or direct with a school? Just one day of teaching per week, paid by the LA, counts towards the 26 'weeks' needed.

4. I left at the end of June as had baby due at end of July 2004 on scale 4. I did supply teaching between 2007 and 2009. When I started my post in September 2010 I was out on scale 4. I contacted the LEA payroll team at this time and asked about my salary point. They said that if I could give them evidence of 26 weeks work in a school year then I would be put on the next salary point with immediate effect and with any back payment owed. I told them at this time that it was work through a supply agency.

Anyway, now they say that only work carried out directly through the LEA counts, despite the fact that all my supply was done in LEA schools. From reading up on this, i gather that agency work is not taken into account. This seems a bit unfair since most LEAs no longer have a supply pool, and most LEA schools use agencies. Oh well!!

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you did some work (even one day per week) for 26 + weeks in the 2003-2004 school year on M4 LA pay you'd be eligible for M5 for any LA paid teaching you did in later school years. That's the school year that you need to provide evidence for if all later years involvedprivate agency work.
    You gain no credit for pay progression from working with private agencies as they are your employer and they operate their own pay scales.
    Although some /many LAs no longer run their own supply service, some (Lancashire, for instance) have nominated a private employment agency to administer the supply register but the LA still pays the supply salaries (with TPS pension eligibility too). Pay progression is possible too.
    The other way is to approach schools direct and get taken on with an LA fixed term contract.