1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay scale advice for supply teachers.

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by hayleyrm, Dec 20, 2011.

1. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi all apologies if this question has been asked a million times I just can't seem to find a thread anywhere so will ask away again in the hope that some one can answer.
    Can anyone tell me what happens with regards to you spine point on the main scale when you are a supply teacher? I currently work for agencies and obviously am just paid a flat rate which whilst not good currently pays most of the bills!!! I am just a little confused however as to what I put as amy spine point on application forms?
    I have been qualified for two years since this sept and worked my first year as supply then a term last september in school employed by the LA - where I completed one term of my NQT- then returned to agency work in january of this year. Where does this leave me on the spine points issue? Obviously had I been employed by an LA I would have ( hopefully!) been progressing up the scale but as I have worked such a vast amount for an agency does this natural yearly porgression still apply?
    any Help and advice would be fab, i am currently trying to work out if I can afford to move on my wages and need to know if I get a full time job how which point I could expect to be getting.
    Many Thanks and Merry christmas
    haylz

2. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Hi all apologies if this question has been asked a million times I just can't seem to find a thread anywhere so will ask away again in the hope that some one can answer.
    Can anyone tell me what happens with regards to you spine point on the main scale when you are a supply teacher? I currently work for agencies and obviously am just paid a flat rate which whilst not good currently pays most of the bills!!! I am just a little confused however as to what I put as amy spine point on application forms?
    I have been qualified for two years since this sept and worked my first year as supply then a term last september in school employed by the LA - where I completed one term of my NQT- then returned to agency work in january of this year. Where does this leave me on the spine points issue? Obviously had I been employed by an LA I would have ( hopefully!) been progressing up the scale but as I have worked such a vast amount for an agency does this natural yearly porgression still apply?
    any Help and advice would be fab, i am currently trying to work out if I can afford to move on my wages and need to know if I get a full time job how which point I could expect to be getting.
    Many Thanks and Merry christmas
    haylz

3. From what I understand you only move up a scale point after a full year with an LEA. I think full yeat coyld be part time/supply but through LEA wjo pay to scale. Most on supply are stuck warning below their worth. I left teaching on leadership but have to put down M6 as I never did threshold - makes no difference though as I am still too expensive.

4. Cheap, expensive, too expensive, very cheap etc etc etc!
    WHAT DOES IT MATTER WHEN THE WHOLE SYSTEM OF SUPPLY TEACHER RECRUITMENT IS <u>COMPLETELY BROKEN</u> WITH NO RULES, REGULATIONS and anything goes!
    Agencies are now not only persuading but actually BULLYING HIGHLY QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED TEACHERS TO ACCEPT JOBS AS TAs, CSs or else etc etc! Ridiculous and unacceptable.[​IMG]

5. My answer to you Hayley, is this:-

The agency are in a great place at the moment. Zillions of supply teachers clamouring for every penny, some of them will even do it for free, just to put on their CVs. The payscale has totally gone out the window and in certain cases, you can get better pay doing mind numbing rubbish in factories. Some rare areas still operate supply pools and pay-to-scale, but it's nigh on in a blue moon.
    Best of luck. S

6. hayleyrm

hayleyrm New commenter

Thanks replies . all for your replies. I think I have been mis understood however, my question is whatcan I expect as my spine point when I return to a permanent job not supplying. I know what to expect as agency and its filling the gap right now I just wanted to.know that if I got a permanent job what would my spine point be will I have been entitled to progress as my number of years or would I need to start on M1 as though I have mo experience and I'm a newbie.
    hx

7. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

In order to move up a point, you have to have wored at least 1 day per week for 26 weeks within 1 academic year, and have been paid by an LA. Holidays would count if you were on a contract. Supply would count if it was paid through the LA direct, not an agency.
    Your term would count towards this but I don't think you will have hit 26 weeks that year. If all your supply work was through an agency that wouldn't count either.
    So to sum up, I'm afraid I think you'll still be on M1. On the plus side, this makes you cheap to employ - many people on here who are further up the scale who can't get employed because they're "too expensive". Also, the NQTs who struggle to get employed do so because schools "want experience". Therefore from a school's point of view, you are cheap but experienced = winner. Unfortunately, it does mean after quite a while teaching you are still not paid much...but it will probably be more than supply.

8. This is the answer. You don't have to work the whole year.

9. But this would not have come about if supply teachers had, in unison, not gone with it. This would have forced the issue, and all or nothing, supply teachers would have been needed. The savings in the present are minimal compared to the overall budget. The losses long term will amount to much more. Unfortunately there is no supply union. I, amongst others, advocated this a few years back.

10. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Not so! You need to have been employed by an LA in 26 separate calendar weeks between 1st sept and 31st August in order to move up the mainscale.
    The 'weeks' can be p/t or f/t weeks.
    If on an LA contract, you can count employed weeks when you are on sick leave or on school holidays.
    If daily paid LA supply bookings, you only count calendar weeks when you were ina school for a day or more.
    As the OP only completed one term as an LA paid teacher in a previouys school year, they will not have reached the 26 week qualifier and when applying for jobs should enter M1 as their spine point.
    Some NQTs are fortunate in being paid above M1 in their first post so M1 is not everyone's starting point. It sounds as though the OP will have been paid at the base point, however, for a first temporary appointment.
    Agency paid work does not entitle the applicant to extra points for experience but it is possible to ask for a discretionary point or two if selected at interview. It is less likely to happen in these straightened times, however.

11. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

If you have worked 26 weeks (one day a week counts as the whole week) as teacher for a year...you move one point up the scale. This counts even working through an agency!

12. It is delusional to believe that agencies (all profiteering and totally unscrupulous) will actually honour this service

13. phatsals

phatsals Occasional commenter

Agency work does not automatically count. An LEA can, if they wish, accept it but don't hold your breath. M1 is your likely point on the scale.

14. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

I had two years of agency supply teaching before getting an LA paid maternity cover. The head started me on M3 as he was grateful of my previous years of experience, which was fantastic.
    However, I then did some supply work for a different school through the LA, and because they couldn't find any evidence to support my higher pay scale, they paid me at M1 rate. Apparently it was all legit as I hadn't accumulated 26 weeks at M3 rate. I wasn't fussed, it was regular work and it paid into TPS.
    Then I did a years contract at the school that put me on M3, so they now had me on M4. Because I did a full year with them I am now elegible for M5, even though the LA had me on a lower pay scale. Very, very complicated but it has probably priced me out of some work [​IMG]
    To cut a long story short, if your head values your experience they might start you higher up. Especially if you can offer a shortage subject.

15. That is why I wrote:
    "...It is delusional to believe that agencies (all profiteering and totally unscrupulous) will actually honour your servic..."
    Moreover agencies have become even MORE ARROGANT and BULLYING!
    Most operate a totally unfair flat rate payment system and if that is unfair most will cajole and bully into you accepting TA rates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Utter evil and morally corrupt!

16. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

Ok I suppose it depends on which agency that you work for! In my own circumstances agency work has allowed me to move up the pay scale and now I get paid accordingly. I am not delusional! Maybe lucky but not delusional!

17. Mrs-Pip

Mrs-Pip New commenter

I was replying to the original post which asked about teaching days counting towards a pay point whether agency or otherwise.
    Of course some agencies only pay a flat rate!
    I was only answering from experience.