1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay rise?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TheOracleAtDelphi, Jul 19, 2019.

1. TheOracleAtDelphi

TheOracleAtDelphi Occasional commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49041295

From the BBC website today (I don't think it is April 1st).

If the part about 'expecting to be funded from existing budgets' is true, how exactly does this help anybody? Surely it just means even more redundancies?

2. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

This is another PAY CUT for teachers. I The latest inflation figure under the retail prices index published on Wednesday is 2.9%.

Clearly some MAT Leaders, HT and SMT will receive much bigger pay rises because of all the extra work they do !!!

Some of these people claim they have budget problems in their schools !!!

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I know these questions are rhetorical.
    Sadly, it doesn't do anything for schools.

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Theresa is presumably trying to have a legacy that is a bit better than
    "I may have been useless but at least I'm better than the clown that followed me"

Of course this is a token gesture, if it cost real money then the next clown will immediately cancel it in favour of tax relief on £100K+ pensions and other bribes to the Conservative party members.

Piscean1 likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

BBC breakfast put a weird spin on this. Made it seem like public sector workers would be joyous over their first pay rise in 10 years. Then there was an almost throwaway comment saying that the money for the payrise was coming out of existing funds so cuts would need to be made elsewhere to pay for it and it was below inflation.

Academies will still award any or no payrise as they see fit. They will still have performance related pay and make up spurous reasons to NOT award payrises while CEOs get 10 percent rises on their 6 figure salaries.

Catgirl1964 and dalersmith like this.
  6. abacus1982

abacus1982 Established commenter

So the PM can say she's gone out on the biggest wage increase in a number of years. Pat on the back aren't you wonderful. In reality this will lead to a lot of schools cutting support staff hours or making redundancies to afford it. We are only a one form entry school and it not being funded is going to kill my budget and I've only found out about it on the last day of term. Marevllous.