1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay rise?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catmother, Apr 24, 2019.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Any sign of it yet?

2. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

It only gets formally signed off at the SNCT tomorrow so likely be implemented by your May pay.

catmother likes this.
  3. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Established commenter

Or June. This is the state sector we're talking about, remember.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

The last time we received a rise of any substance North Lanarkshire Council didn't pay the back money in a single month.
    Our money was fed into wages over a few months.
    I suspect this time around will also involve some similar jiggery pokery.

bigjimmy2 and borges33 like this.
  5. braemar

braemar New commenter

I read somewhere that some LA's paid out backpay last month. How does the backpay work for tax purposes as the backdated pay increase goes back to the start of the last tax year?

6. Liviboy

Liviboy Occasional commenter

You pay tax based on when the money is paid, not when it was due!

7. AyeRight

AyeRight New commenter

May or June. One authority paid the backpay last month - bit risky if the talks had failed!

8. Missplus

Missplus New commenter

I got my backdated pay last month (WDC). In school we thought the same re talks failing.

9. Scubadt

Scubadt New commenter

Two additional in service days agreed

10. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

When I asked about my back pay, the LA payroll office said 'Once we have formal confirmation from the unions to go ahead with the payments, your backpay will be calculated and paid.'

Eh?

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  11. Marisha

Email just in from SSTA - formal agreement was 25th of April: 'All parties also agreed that the pay element of the agreement will be implemented as soon as is practicable.'

12. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter

I retired at Christmas. A letter arrived on Friday from my LA asking for my bank details so that they can transfer my backpay. I didn't have to ask for it. Impressed!

Marisha and bigjimmy2 like this.
  13. autoq

autoq New commenter

I may have the wrong end of the stick here, so please enlighten me, but having just checked my payslip with the pay rise and back pay included, it appears that I am now in the 9.7% pension contribution band. Last month it was a 8.7% contribution.
    Does this mean that my effective net pay rise is actually 1% less than "advertised".... Surely they altered the pension contribution bands to reflect the new pay scales ... :rolleyes: ??

14. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

No, they didn't

Teachers near the top of the scale (earning over 35k) pay 9.7% of a contribution.

15. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Established commenter

In addition, pay rises are never advertised as "net" - individuals have different tax codes, they may have different student loan contributions etc.

Although I totally agree it is fairly hard on those in your position. These bands do need looked at

16. autoq

autoq New commenter

Yes, (I already knew that the net pay won't go up exactly by the gross pay raise percentage due to the reason which you mentioned), but given that the pension contribution is taken off at Gross pay, this effectively means that my gross pay raise percent is effectively 1% less than expected.
    I am just a normal teacher - I suppose I just wanted to highlight that this will surely affect every teacher at my scale... which is probably the majority of teachers ...

17. bobsuruncle84

bobsuruncle84 New commenter

This was an issue for teachers at the top of the scale about 4 years ago as well. We got a 1% rise which tipped us just over the £35k mark. This put our pension contribution up by 1% and completely wiped out the pay rise. I was quite surprised more of a fuss wasn't made at the time...

Totally agree that the contribution bands should be adjusted each year in a similar way to the tax bands but it probably won't happen without a fight

18. micgbanks

micgbanks Occasional commenter

Anyone on PT 1 or above will fall into the higher pensions category. They give with one hand............

19. Marisha

If you haven't already, check your tax code. I realised that I hadn't been getting my personal allowance. The result was that I lost much more of my pension in tax than I should have done.

I believe that I have to claim it back myself. I'm supposed to wait for HMRC to reconcile my tax and something called an 8000 Notice may or may not be sent out between June and October, after which I may have to send in paperwork. *curses*

I'm admitting I should have noticed beforehand - didn't realise until I got my tax code for 2019-20. I phoned as soon as I got it and now have the correct code.

20. AckyWacky

AckyWacky New commenter