1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay rise September 2020

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by pentagonal, Jul 2, 2020.

1. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

I know there has been quite a few other things going on, but the government sent their recommendations on pay to the STRB in September 2019. They requested a response in April 2020. Still nothing from the STRB.

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

The Government chooses when to publish the STRB’s report and often do so long after the STRB has submitted it.

3. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

It’s often been the end of July. I suspect the decision will be different to the one they might have made if there hadn’t have been a pandemic.

4. shevington2

shevington2 New commenter

There might be a pay freeze for a couple of years for the vast majority of teachers, while you know those usual suspects will continue to receive above inflation pay rises has they did between 2010 and 2020.

5. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

One of the Government’s pledges was for NQTs to earn £30 000 by 2022. If they are to stick to their promises, then clearly there will need to be significant rises over the next 3 years.

6. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

The unions will not allow more pay freezes.

7. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

The Government will have had their suggested pay rise returned to them in February or March. So I don’t think that decision can change.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

What exactly would they do about it if public sector pay freezes were implemented?

9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Like they didn't allow pay freezes in the years after 2010?

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I think the decision can change right up until it’s announced.

11. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

Because of those pay freezes, teachers pay is significantly behind the private sector. Even the Government realise freezing teachers pay again will result in even bigger teacher shortages.

12. pentagonal

pentagonal New commenter

Not true. It has to go through a lot of negotiations.

13. Rott Weiler

Who with?

DfE decides, DfE announces. That's it.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  14. Rott Weiler

That may be so but has nothing to do with my comment that the unions weren't able to stop pay freezes before and wouldn't be able to stop a pay freeze now.

15. Skeoch

Skeoch Star commenter

The political landscape has changed. Teachers remain on full pay in the maintained sector. Many others will be on furlough, on restricted hours, or reduced pay, or will become unemployed. Government granting a significant pay rise to teachers is likely to go down badly. NHS pay rise is politically very different.

Piranha likes this.
  16. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

The Government does not have to follow the STRB’s advice. They didn’t in 2018.

Sundaytrekker likes this.