1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay rise help?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by emma1919, Aug 3, 2018.

1. emma1919

emma1919 New commenter

I have successfully passed my NQT year this year. I am starting at a new school as my contract was temp but I have got my contract through and they have kept me on M1 should I have moved up the pay scale?
    Thank you x

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

That depends on two things: the school's pay policy, and the negotiated agreement on salary that you had when you accepted the job. So what did you agree at interview, or when you received the job offer?

3. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There are no national rules. What does the new school's pay policy say? What did the offer letter say?

However I'd expect most schools to have pay policies that recognised a move up there pay scale after completing NQT year. Start by querying it with HR/whoever sent you the contract.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  4. emma1919

emma1919 New commenter

Nothing was said at the interview or when I agreed to the job this is the first thing I’ve had with pay on it being my contract they have just sent me .

5. emma1919

emma1919 New commenter

I will check the policy my contract says I will be starting on M1 pay scale which I was on this year.. thanks

6. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

I sorry to say that there is a steady stream of posters coming to TES who say they accepted a job without knowing the salary and then found it was lower than they had hoped/expected. And an equally steady stream of responses from other posters asking why anyone accepts a job without knowing the salary. I won't labour the point but it is, if nothing else, a lesson well learned for the future - don't accept a job without asking what the salary is.

All may not be lost though. Maybe it's just an error by someone in HR? That'd be my response. "Is this correct? I'm already on M1 and was expecting an increase." etc. If you can find support for that argument in the pay policy quote it, but it may well just say starting salaries are at head's discretion or some such.

strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.
  7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Or.... they have started you on M1 but fully expect to adjust it it M2 (backdated to Sept 1st) when they go through the appraisal process in September/October. Make sure you have any NQT induction documentation available. I would expect that successful completion of NQT induction is sufficient evidence for a move to M2. But... check their pay policy.

strawbs, JohnJCazorla and Rott Weiler like this.
  8. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, that is quite plausible - many teachers start a new year on their old pay and it is adjusted after PM reviews are over. A polite enquiry my get you the answer you hope for. However, you are not entitled to more than the minimum on the pay scale.

Your new school might want to see anything you have on your performance in your NQT year, so have that to hand, as advised above. And I would advise keeping all performance related stuff throughout your career - you never know when it might be handy. Not sure why I still have my pile of stuff now that I have retired, though!

To be honest, I am surprised that somebody who was not teaching when your pay went up automatically is acting as if that system still applies. In any other occupation, you would ensure that you knew the pay before accepting a job. I assume you have not been active on these forums over the last few years, or you would have seen all the posts on the subject. But I wish people who train teachers would make it clear that you check salary at interview or before accepting a job.

strawbs and JohnJCazorla like this.