1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Rise for Supply?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by ictbev, Nov 14, 2018.

1. ictbev

ictbev New commenter

I've been a supply teacher for 6 years and I love it. I've been lucky enough to do mainly long term and I now find myself asked for by schools. However I've been on the same rate with the two agencies I use since I started. Are supply teachers supposed to get an increase? Even 1% would be better than nothing!

2. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

Your pay is whatever you negotiate it to be.
    Supply agencies charge the school as much as they can get away with and charge the teacher as little as they can get away with

It is called capitalism

You need to be prepared not to work for what they offer you

3. IanSla

IanSla New commenter

Spot on 50sman.. The alternative is it could be prescribed that everyone is paid exactly the same no matter how good they are or how much they are valued

ICTBev - Decide what you want, what you are prepared to accept and negotiate if you have to. If you're being asked for then you have got the upper hand here so don't sell yourself short! Best wishes.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

My premium rate (longer term placements) has gone up this week from £140 per day to £145 per day. My day to day rate is still £120 as far as I am aware but I won't be doing any of that until the new year.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Ask the agency for a rise. What's the worse they could say?

agathamorse likes this.
  6. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

When I did long term (jan - July 2018) I was paid £198 per day.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Show off!:p

8. supply287

supply287 New commenter

[​IMG]

Change to £ and add 0.

9. supply287

supply287 New commenter

10. supply287

supply287 New commenter

If I understand it correctly, though things becoming more fuzzy!

11. 50sman

50sman Lead commenter

All I can say is market forces
    I teach computer science

12. ictbev

ictbev New commenter

I teach CS but only for KS3 confidently! I negotiated my fee originally, and I'm aware I get more than most people on their books. I think I never thought about renegotiating. I've just been asked to stay till Christmas where I am now and I am planning Y7 - 13 almost from scratch. I will be marking and also have been asked to mark the Y11 mocks. The school are more than happy to pay extra, but this might be a good time to ask for a raise from the agency

13. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Is that a subject?;)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  14. dvandegriend

dvandegriend New commenter

I joined a new agency yesterday and they are offering £80 to £120 a day, depending on which school I go to.
    If it is one of their 'first call' deals, I will get a lower rate.
    I didn't even want to ask how on earth can they get away with that, I can't be bothered to fight for a decent wage, as I do not feel supported with this by Teacher's Unions or the government.
    Supply agencies, can do whatever they like, it seems?

I have been on Supply for almost 5 years and in that time my pay has gone down and my Teacher's Pension has not been contributed to. In my area there are so many (too many) Supply Agencies and they are all competing for work, for a slice of the cake. With budgets as tight as they are in schools, it's obvious that the schools will take a cheaper option, if one is offered.
    Leaving me to decide whether, once my fuel is paid, if it is worth going to work, or continuing to Teach at all?
    As a Supply Teacher for a short time in 2002, I was paid £120 per day, even for general cover, via an agency. More when I was employed by the LEA, as I was paid to scale, which sadly doesn't happen here anymore.
    So, the choice is, 'take it or leave it'
    I haven't had any work for weeks and now I have to rethink my options, just to survive and support my family one one irregular low income.

15. dvandegriend

dvandegriend New commenter

I joined a new agency yesterday and they are offering £80 to £120 a day, depending on which school I go to.
    If it is one of their 'first call' deals, I will get a lower rate.
    I didn't even want to ask how on earth can they get away with that, I can't be bothered to fight for a decent wage, as I do not feel supported with this by Teacher's Unions or the government.
    Supply agencies, can do whatever they like, it seems?

I have been on Supply for almost 5 years and in that time my pay has gone down and my Teacher's Pension has not been contributed to. In my area there are so many (too many) Supply Agencies and they are all competing for work, for a slice of the cake. With budgets as tight as they are in schools, it's obvious that the schools will take a cheaper option, if one is offered.
    Leaving me to decide whether, once my fuel is paid, if it is worth going to work, or continuing to Teach at all?
    As a Supply Teacher for a short time in 2002, I was paid £120 per day, even for general cover, via an agency. More when I was employed by the LEA, as I was paid to scale, which sadly doesn't happen here anymore.
    So, the choice is, 'take it or leave it'
    I haven't had any work for weeks and now I have to rethink my options, just to survive and support my family one one irregular low income.

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  16. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

In the late 1990s on day2day Supply I was paid just £13 less than I am today. I suspect that due to Austerity, the near future will see Supply pay rates either flat or even cut, as more Agencies fight for less work.

BetterNow, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  17. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

'Proper' teachers won't even fight for decent pay and conditions for themselves as teaching unions know to their cost, so what chance for supply? And the Government's contribution to this is to make union action even more unlikely and ineffective (but it's a moot point that this has made any difference given the apathetic view of teachers to any form of militancy).
    Or the continuing migration of teachers going out might force prices up. It depends greatly on your area (both geographic and professional) as I'm doing very well (£195 a day) at Maths/Science in West Yorkshire but London supply are seeing their pay dwindle to peanuts due to too many supply teachers chasing too little work. Not sure the Agencies are bothered about this as they're not necessarily receiving less.

agathamorse likes this.
  18. tdf192

tdf192 New commenter

Unfortunately teacher pay has completely stagnated over the past 5 years.

For long term contracts you should be paid in line with your previous perm rate - i.e. M6, UPS1 etc.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Some schools in the Bristol area have teachers from Australia, USA, Canada, New Zealand and other places, whose names escape me. They are all/mostly on temporary contracts. Additionally, one of the local big name agencies has an office in Oz which recruits teachers for the UK.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

In which part of the country are you, @dvandegriend? As @JohnJCazorla said, supply rates vary greatly over the country. Here, in London, as he said, there is an over-supply of supply, and rates are rock bottom. This seems to be the s same in the South generally. I looked at finding work in counties surrounding London, and found that rates were roughly similar to London, or significantly less! Other posters have reported £60 - 80 in Wales. One of the agencies with which I am registered sent around an email offering work in other areas, and what it was offering in East Kent, made Wales look generous!

agathamorse likes this.