1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Rates for HLTAs?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Margareen, Jun 24, 2012.

1. My school is appointing a new Higher Level Teaching Assistant. I have the credentials and TA experience, and would like to apply. The salary being offered is £13,000 for a 40-hour week, term-time only. I realise the responsibilities and expectations in this role can vary enormously, but in this case the work involves planning and taking SEN classes, and monitoring and helping to evaluate classroom strategies. From comparison with other HLTA vacancies, this salary seems extremely low to me - I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise? Best wishes, Margie.

2. My school is appointing a new Higher Level Teaching Assistant. I have the credentials and TA experience, and would like to apply. The salary being offered is £13,000 for a 40-hour week, term-time only. I realise the responsibilities and expectations in this role can vary enormously, but in this case the work involves planning and taking SEN classes, and monitoring and helping to evaluate classroom strategies. From comparison with other HLTA vacancies, this salary seems extremely low to me - I'd be really grateful if anyone could advise? Best wishes, Margie.

3. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Is this actual or pro rata?

Newbie2this likes this.
  4. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

I have just checked job vacancies in our LEA - an HLTA role is advertised with a starting salary of £24646 full-time, which would roughly work out at £20600 for 36.5 hours, term-time-only.
    I think £13000 for the role you describe is actually taking the p***!
    I agree that the HLTA role varies hugely and this may not actually involve the same level of responsibility as the job I've looked at, but it definitely isn't an HLTA salary as envisaged by the Workforce Remodelling Group who initiated the existence of the role. I would think very carefully before applying - what level are you currently on and would this be a huge rise if you pro-rata your current salary to 40 hours a week (40 hours also seems a lot, unless they are incuding your unpaid lunch break in those hours - I am actually in school for 42 hours each week but only paid for 36.5 of them.)

5. Thanks, both. The salary is actual, and it's an actual 40 hours' work each week, including homework classes until 5.30pm.

Ophelia, the job you mentions sounds about right to me - I've looked at lots of current ads, and they seem to range from about £18,500 to £23,000 for 37.5 hours, term-time only, with the average being around the £20,500 mark.

Pro-rata, this actually works out less than I'm earning at the moment (although it's more hours and hence more money overall), but it's a step up and potentially more rewarding, so I'm in a sticky spot!! Of course, there's nothing to stop me looking for a similar role in a different school, but that would be a shame in many ways - I like the place and know the kids I'd be working with well.

Really tricky!

Thanks again - I'd welcome any more thoughts.

Margie.

6. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

Just had a look for my area - there are no HTLA jobs in my LEA, but there a couple in a nearby LEA.
    The starting salary there is £21,500 pro rata.

7. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

That's an appalling rate for an HLTA; wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. What on earth does the school pay LSAs?

8. What rate are they paying the TAs? Surely taking on additional responsibilities and moving up a grade can't result in reduced hourly pay?

9. £21,500 - 23,500 in my area. I wouldn't apply! Absolutely unbelievable!

10. Hi, in response, my current rate as a TA is £7.40 an hour, so the HLTA rate is slightly better - but only slightly.

I understand some HLTAs would normally receive an extra allowance for this kind of job, which is working almost exclusively with SEN pupils?

I would be really interested to know what kind of salary others in this kind of position earn?

Grateful thanks again,

Margie.

11. Recent HLTA role in my area advertised at £19374 to £22385 full time rate,
    Actual rate £9081 to £10492 for 20 hours week.
    £13000 for 40 hour week is ridiculous.
    Bea

12. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

In our LA it is usually between £17,802 and £22,958 for a HLTA.

13. rosyjan

rosyjan New commenter

I did the role of HLTA for about five years and that was what I earnt. Now a TA in another LA and earn the same. Can't believe I did it for so long, and all the work I did at home which of course I didn't get paid for. I was paid for 45 weeks a year including holidays, for 32 hours a week. [​IMG] Of course the school will have loads of applications as people, mostly women, still like the convience of school hours.

14. Thank you, all, for your replies. Seems I was right to be shocked! I'm in a quandary whether to apply or not now - my sense of self-worth says not, but if I don't I might be ruling myself out of any future opportunities.

The rate of pay works out at £8.12 an hour, which kind of puts things into perspective if that's the value they put on planning and delivering lessons for pupils with learning difficulties....

Maybe I just need to find another school.

Margie.

15. I certainly think that salary is far too low, as an HLTA I am paid £22221 a decent salary for the hard job that it is. Like previously advised i would contact HR or just google the county you are in and pay scales it should come up.

16. I am an HLTA, my current rate of pay is £9.5648 per hour, working 15 hours a week basic contract, spread over 52 weeks per year. The TA rate of pay in my school is roughly £6.68, or thereabouts, so the salary being offered at your school seems very low to me

17. I'm a TA with HLTA status. I get paid just under £12/hr for HLTA duties, covering teachers, but I only get this as and when; my fixed contract hours are paid at an ordinary TA rate. I'd quite like an HLTA post as it would certainly improve my pension! But I'd certainly want a better rate of pay than your school is offering for a 40 hour week...

18. They are taking the p** I am an HLTA working in a special school my hours are 32.5 a week and i am earning £20,600 a year one of my areas of responsiblities are after school clubs but i get paid overtime for these our TA level 3s are earning more than this Dont get me wrong I have alot of responsibilities but 13,000 for a 40hour week seems extremely low to me
    Susie

19. Its amusing all the different pays for basically the same job. I'm currently earning £10.31 an hr working 32.5hrs as a Nursery Nurse. I'm waiting to here if I've passed my HLTA but at the minute I've got the whole class for 3 days alone with no support and I've done all of the planning with no PPA time or extra pay!

20. I work 27 hours per week as an HLTA, I regularly teach for 4 afternoons per week and often 5. In the mornings I support the class teacher. I also cover the class teacher if he is away from school for whatever reason, which has been a lot recently. For this I am paid just over £14,000 per year, my pay is spread over 12 months but I am only paid for 43 weeks per year. My paid working hours are from 9am - 12 lunchtime, then from 1pm - 3.15pm. I start work around 8.30am and work till around 12.30pm. I then work most days till around 4pm and regulary bring work home as I have to do my own planning, marking, assessment etc (for my 4 regular afternoons, just the marking for anything extra). All this is unpaid. Sorry to sound very negative, wouldn't mind if I was paid more!!! So, Margareen, £13,000 for a 40 week is appalling.

LeahJoanne likes this.