1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Question

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by JJ83, Jun 30, 2020 at 5:03 PM.

1. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Hi All

I am thinking of applying for a new job and I am unsure of how the pay works as it is a pastoral role

It is on a scale that I get (just like teaching) however the advert states ' 37 hours per week, term time plus 10 training days Grade 9- 10'

How do I work out my actual take home pay?

Thanks

I am having to be vague for obvious reasons

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

How long is a piece of string?
    For years now schools have been able to set their own pay scales, so Grade 9-10 in one scholl will be completely different to 9-10 in another.

If it says 'pay pro rata' the amount quoted will be considerably higher than what your take-home pay will work out at.

So the only real way would be to ask the particular school.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Thanks
    That's what I thought - I got excited then common sense took over!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

For a general 'ball-park' idea of pro-rata amounts; term-time for state schools is 38 weeks, add on the two weeks of training days and you have 40 weeks...so divide the full salary by 52 and multiply by 40 and that should give you a rough idea of the annual salary.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

A lot of schools do base their non-teaching pay scales on the LGA ones - see this link https://neu.org.uk/advice/support-staff-pay-and-conditions According to this 9-10 would be around £20,000 (higher in London)
    But, as has been said, it may be completely different for the job you are looking at!

Lara mfl 05 and Pomza like this.
  6. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Don’t forget to add holiday entitlement, so that’s about another 5-6 weeks.

Piranha, agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

Thanks everyone much appreciated!

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Posters coming back to thank people for their replies is always appreciated. :)

9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Are you sure you are entitled to holiday when you are working term time only? I cannot recall any science technician having a term time holiday or do you mean that they get paid those extra days but have to take them in school holidays?

10. Thongy1

Thongy1 New commenter

I think holiday pay works out as 2 weeks and Christmas, 2 weeks at Easter. You are not paid for half terms or summer breaks. And of course, holiday pay is not cumulative, ie., you do not get more days pay over successive years of employment. Support staff in schools get quite a bum deal. You are expected to go to staff meetings, residentials, summer fayre of a weekend, school discos in the evenings, etc., often without overtime or TOIL.

11. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

"You are expected to go to staff meetings, residentials, summer fayre of a weekend, school discos in the evenings, etc., often without overtime or TOIL."

Sounds like teaching.

12. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

All employees are entitled to a minimum amount of holiday. I am not sure exactly how this works, but it is here. https://www.gov.uk/holiday-entitlement-rights I would imagine that it is done by giving paid holiday during part of the school holidays, but that is just my guess.

13. drvs

drvs Star commenter

I've noticed quite a creep in expectations placed on TAs over the last decade or so - there are not many bored mummies coasting out their days for a bit of pocket money now. Their pay hasn't crept up to match the level of responsibility and accountability placed on them though, shamefully.

14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

In our local authority the standard contract for TAs was term time plus one week (inset days). The standard holiday entitlement was added to this making 44 weeks pay in total. The pay was then spread over twelve months to avoid lower months pay in the summer. So TAs were paid for 44 weeks a year (rising to 45 after five years service) with six weeks unpaid. Our school always tried to be fair with extra pay for extra curricular work or residentials. Attendance at a school fete was voluntary and not paid.

Piranha and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  15. Lauradodds_

Lauradodds_ New commenter

I'm in a similar position.
    A job I've seen does not state pro-rata but does say the pay is £22,800 per annum. Full time - term time only based on 37 hours per week for 195 days. I'm guessing I still wouldn't be taking home the advertised amount.

It's all very confusing.

16. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Thanks, @Sundaytrekker. I thought it might be something like that.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  17. JJ83

JJ83 New commenter

It is - I dont want to apply and waste peoples time if the pay is significantly lower that I am on now