1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Question

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by pedagog, Nov 5, 2019.

1. pedagog

pedagog New commenter

Hi all,

This term I got promoted from classroom teacher to SENCo in my 120 pupil Secondary Special School for SEMH. All 120 students at my school have SEN so it is a much bigger role than in other similar-sized schools.

I do not teach but every student has SEN. I am a qualified teacher, qualified SENCo and Qualified Access Arrangements Assessor. I am also the Designated Teacher for LAC. To be the 'official' SENCo you have to be both a qualified teacher and a qualified SENCo (or working towards the qualification).

I am still only being paid as a classroom teacher despite now being in the 'Middle Management Team'. I get an SEN allowance but so do all classroom teachers at my school.

All other teachers in the middle management team get some kind of TLR but I have been told that I can't because I don't teach.

Should I be getting a TLR or be on the leadership scale? What about the Leading Practitioner Scale? Or do you think paying me the same as when I was just a teacher is correct? I should add that when I asked the question shortly after my promotion I was told that it was 'under review'.

I would appreciate your thoughts about this.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

3. pedagog

pedagog New commenter

No. The wording for this question is slightly different to improve clarity. Also, the replies I have had in the other forum were generally unhelpful, owing I feel, to the fact that it was perhaps not the appropriate forum/board. I feel that this is the correct area for discussions around pay, so I am posting here instead, in the hope that I might get a more helpful response...

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Probably the answer is within the school pay policy, available on the school intranet at least. I suspect though that there will be scope for the school to say...….. too bad.

As we are progressing greatly to that view espoused by all Right Thinking Educationalists that the market is the only determinant of worth and wages then you can leave or haggle (with the threat of leaving being your only card).

Not the answer you want but this is where we're at. Do you have the political and trading skills to get the correct rate?

You'll notice none of the above mentions children or any other worthwhile values.:(

5. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

should you? There's no right if that is what you are looking for. TLRs are aimed at classroom teachers which you have said you are not. For the LP scale, I believe, you need to be accredited. It's possible that your role could be leadership role. This would depend on what the structure of the school was defined and the possibly in the pay policy. That said if you are on UPS3 + SEN allowance and went to L1 you could end up earning nearly £4000 less (as you wouldn't get the SEN allowance).

6. pedagog

pedagog New commenter

Yes, I saw that accreditation but from what I can make out reading the STPCD, it is purely voluntary, a way for a private company to make a bit of money I think...

I think you are right that the leadership scale is dangerous as it could theoretically involve a pay cut but I don't think that they could make that stick!

I guess I am just going to have to stick with the classroom teacher pay :(

7. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Tbh that's not bad if youre not in class.

Pomza likes this.