1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay progression withheld whilst off sick

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Emr1983, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

Hello,
    I’m hoping someone can help. I’ve been off work for a while and my pay has not gone up since September, can the school withhold my pay progression until I return back to work, if I do at all? This doesn’t seem right to me as it is based on last years performance?
    Thank you

2. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

Did you have your appraisal before you went off sick?

3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Also check it has actually been withheld, not just that they haven't got around to paying anyone increases yet.

4. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

The school have told me it will not increase until I’m back at work. I was off sick during the meetings.

5. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Maybe they want you to be subject to appraisal like everyone else?

6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

If you have evidence of the appraisal cycle going successfully throughout the year and can prove that your work has ensured that you met your targets and impacted positively on the school, you will progress. If not, you won't.

7. Emr1983

Emr1983 New commenter

They haven’t really followed the appraisal cycle at all. We’ve had many learning walks etc and haven’t been told that I’m not progressing that’s why I find it odd why I haven’t moved up the pay scale. 2 targets were data focussed and the last was a personal one I set which I’ve had no problem with. What happens when people are on maternity etc do they not progress to the next scale? Doesn’t seem fair to me. I feel I should have received a letter or indication prior to being unwell to let me
    know I wasn’t meeting targets.

8. IanG

IanG Occasional commenter

I would of thought a perfomance management appraisal would need to be carried out before progression. If you are currently off ill then this would be carried out on your return and IF successful then pay backdated.... I honesty can't see how progression could be awarded without actually sitting down and having the appraisal with appropriate staff.