1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay progression and maternity

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by natmour, May 6, 2020.

1. natmour

natmour New commenter

Hello everyone!

I am currently on maternity leave and I am thinking about weighing up my options when I return. I am on the UPS and as of September, I am eligible to go on to the next pay point performance depending. I would have been on maternity for 9 months. Because of being on maternity, could the school say I don't have enough evidence or can they include the other year and 3 months towards my progression? Also as background, I was a year leader but going back as a teacher.
    Thanks!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

It would be deemed discrimination under the Equality Act for you to be denied progression because of maternity. Good practice is to assess performance over a wider period (eg the year before as well)

See eg https://neu.org.uk/advice/understanding-pay-progression
    Teachers on maternity or extended sick leave or otherwise absent during the period

The DfE’s pay advice confirms that such teachers are entitled to consideration for pay progression in the same way as other teachers, whether or not they have returned to service at the date of the annual pay determination. In such cases, however, it is particularly likely that appraisal reviews may not have been completed and the governing body may not have any reviewer’s recommendation to consider.

The NEU therefore advises that pay decisions should be taken by reference to such information as is available. This might include information from the most recent appraisal review or any part of the appraisal period when the teacher was present.

Failure to consider progression in this way could clearly constitute less favourable treatment on the basis of gender or disability and leave the governing body open to complaints of unlawful direct discrimination.

3. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Please speak to your Union( not the school rep) to have a discussion with them. Bit too late to join a Union if you are not in one at the moment. Numerous Cases have been won on the grounds mentioned by Strawbs above

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

I agree with @strawbs. I don't think it worth contacting your union at this stage unless you have reason for thinking that the school will use your maternity leave as an excuse for not giving you progression. You could have a word with the school, of course, to reassure yourself and find if you might need union support.