1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay progression and backdating pay

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by cinnamonsquare, May 2, 2012.

1. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I have been on M6 for 2 years and have successfully applied to cross threshold onto UPS. Our school business manager mentioned that because I have been on M6 for over one year, that pay can be backdated to September - so essentially I'd get a lump sum equivalent to whatever would make my salary up to the post-threshold salary.

My head disagrees and says it starts from September and there's no backdated pay available.

Googling seems to be getting me nowhere. Can anyone tell me which one of them is right? Or which one is more right than the other :) I don't expect any backdated pay at all but it would definitely be helpful!

2. cinnamonsquare

I hope I'm posting in the right place...

I have been on M6 for 2 years and have successfully applied to cross threshold onto UPS. Our school business manager mentioned that because I have been on M6 for over one year, that pay can be backdated to September - so essentially I'd get a lump sum equivalent to whatever would make my salary up to the post-threshold salary.

My head disagrees and says it starts from September and there's no backdated pay available.

Googling seems to be getting me nowhere. Can anyone tell me which one of them is right? Or which one is more right than the other :) I don't expect any backdated pay at all but it would definitely be helpful!

3. I don't think they back date it anymore.

4. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Teachers do not have to apply to go through threshold, some chose not to and some do not succeed. Therefore some folk may be applying for threshold after several years of being on M6. There is no back dated pay - The progression takes place the September after your application is passed.

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

so how come my threshold got backdated to september when it was finally sorted out by payroll in december? is that because it was approved in the PM cycle ending 31st oct?

6. ellbee

ellbee New commenter

Yes.

7. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Emily - Yes. They were backdating your pay to the September of your application and progression through threshold which is correct. If however you had been on M6 for a year and therefore missed an application cycle it would not be back dated a year.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Backdating used to be possible if you'd been on M6 for 2 years or more but the last Round when that was possible was Round 9.
    You now get UPS from the September after your application year (or backdated to the September if the budgetary meeting with Governors to approve all pay issues does not take place until the end of the October, which is the extended deadline for Threshold applications).
    So, second year on M6 in the 2011/12 school year, with decision to move to UPS1 approved in October 2012, and you get UPS1 pay in October or November 2012 pay, with UPS1 arrears from Sept 2012 added in.
    There is no chance of UPS1 arrears from September 2011.

9. cinnamonsquare

Thanks everyone, this is what my head has now confirmed. We found the info in NASUWT website in the end - couldn't find anything on Department of Education website (surprise, surprise!).

Ah well, would have been handy, but you can't lose what you never had!