1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Pal

Discussion in 'Personal' started by guinnesspuss, Jun 13, 2015.

1. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I seem to have had a scam Pay Pal e-mail. It says there has been unusual activity in my account and they just need the details again to unlock my account. I was going along with it till it asked for my bank card details. I looked back at a previous, legitimate e-mail and noticed the differences. Amazing how you get suckered in. (This one hails from Singapore, so it says in the grey print at the bottom.)

2. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

When the hell will people realise that no legitimate business will EVER request card or bank details via e-mail?

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Sadly, too many people only learn the lesson after they've been scammed. [​IMG]

4. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

I had this sort of email on a regular basis for quite a few months. Fortunately, I knew straight away that it was a scam as they were sending it to an email address that was no longer linked to my PayPal account.

Report it to PayPal. They take these emails seriously and like to know about them.

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Forward the email to spoof@paypal.so.uk, paypal do try and stop them if they know about them.

6. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I had one yesterday. I had supposedly bought 10 owl figurines form ebay! PayPal were very good when I phoned. Follow lapinrose's advice.

7. guinnesspuss

Yes, I contacted Pay Pal to tell them. The e-mail seemed to come from Singapore. Hmmm. I have rarely got this kind of e-mail. It seems they've found me :(

8. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I have one of those in my hotmail junk inbox, which I use now only to give to people I don't want to have my email address! When you hover over the links, they go to a site that doesn't have a paypal address (peyeapal or something). Not only that, but the email apparently comes from an outlook address.

I've forwarded it to paypal. Glad you didn't actually put in any bank details.

9. colpee

colpee Star commenter

But sometimes it is more complex than that and people follow a link in the email to a realistic webpage on a spoof site and try to log in, and compromise their details without realising. In my opinion, the conmen are helped somewhat by banks and building societies irritating habit of including links to their own sites in email correspondence - thereby conditioning people to click innocently on links. It would help if all companies adopted a good practice policy of refraining from including links in emails to their own customers (who must already be able to access their online accounts!). I have complained about it a few times and have occasionally received a "thanks for your feedback - blah blah - take security seriously -blah blah- " but i've never seen any changes as a result.

10. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Most people here probably know that you must NEVER follow a direct link from an email to your bank account/paypal/ebay etc. But for those who didn't know - NEVER do it. Go to the log in page in the proper way if you think it may be a real problem but most of them are not.

Never click on the links but you can amuse yourself trying to spot the errors on grammar and spelling which are often a giveaway.

11. guinnesspuss

It seems that thoughtlessly clicking on the link cost me a penny. If everyone who does that is charged a penny then ... Quids in to the scammers anyway. Grrrr : \