1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay Overseas

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by weddle, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I'm currently looking at a range of overseas posts, mainly in Asia. However, many of these posts mention nothing about payscales or salaries. Can anyone give me an idea of pay/living costs in countries such as Vietnam and Thailand? This is my first venture into teaching overseas, and I don't want to jump into it and end up worse off!
    Thanks in advance

2. I'm currently looking at a range of overseas posts, mainly in Asia. However, many of these posts mention nothing about payscales or salaries. Can anyone give me an idea of pay/living costs in countries such as Vietnam and Thailand? This is my first venture into teaching overseas, and I don't want to jump into it and end up worse off!
    Thanks in advance

3. Take a look at cost of living index, estate agnet websites for accomodation costs if they aren't covered, the lonelyplanet throntree discussion website often offers good living costs advice for some areas.
    You won't end up worse off than in the UK, that I can guarantee.
    There are lots of posts on here about where to go to make money.
    I'm in Japan and am on about £45,000. I pay all my own costs excpet a **** medical insurance. I save about 50% of my salary, but then I am deliberately saving....
    I was in Italy before that and on about £27,000 and managed to save next to nothing because rents were so high. Its swings and roundabouts depending on where you want to go.
    I hear that ESF is a good payer in Hong Kong but I imagine they get their pound of flesh.
    What I would recommend if its your first posting is membership to the International Schools Review website. Just take some of the harsher, more bitter reviews with a wheelbarrow of salt.

4. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

This is an often asked question to which there is no simple answer.
    I recommend you reword it to: can I afford to move to...
    Cost of living is much lower than the UK in many Asia countries, but Singapore and others are much more expensive. Within each country there are wide variations. I've heard of some schools in Malaysia offering as low as £1000 a month. Although this may appear low, the cost of living in Malaysia is so low that £1000 goes a long way and is much more than typical salary a local teacher will get. However, if you compared this to a school in Singapore offering £2000 on face value this appears to be twice as good. Yet those who live in Singapore may suggest a different opinion; the £1000 in Malaysia, especialy if they are inclusive of accommodation alowance would work out far better.
    Schools don't offer say what they will offer until short listing.for all number of reasons. You will just need to apply and ask once shortlisted. Phrases such as competitive salary don't say much. If you have a need to send significant amounts of money back to the UK, overseas teaching may not be your best alternative. However, if you are without a significant debt burden life overseas can be wonderful.

5. Doing some quick searches through this forum will generally come up with the following range of answers, unfortunately there is no "right" answer as every situation is considerably different.

So here is the abridged version:

Some schools pay well, others don't. Some factor taxes in, some don't and leave the responsibility to you. Some countries don't have taxes (although this is typically only in the Middle East). Local food is cheaper than imported (particularly in Asia). If you want [insert random high end hotel] brunches every weekend you won't save very much. Most will cover housing, transport, insurance etc (although this is not typical in Europe).

The basic idea is that there is so much variation between countries, within coutnries, within cities as well as between individual schools that it is not possible to give a concise answer that will give you the self assurance you need to go through with it moving overseas.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for!

Kf

6. Thanks for this all.
    I figured this would be the case, but I had to ask! Guess I'll just have to work out what's what when/if I take the plunge!

7. Sorry about all the typos!

I mean estate agents
    thorntree forum for lonely planet

Sorry!

8. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

If you want the ability to screen schools based on the package offered, you will need to join one of the recruiting agencies like search (associates). They have database with most international school listed and the specifics of the salary, benefits, taxes, savings potential etc for each school. Some info. may not be 100% updated but overall it can certainly give you a preview of whether a particular school is going to meet your needs/expectations or if you should just give it a pass.

9. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Excellent point, MM. I'm sure people often just convert to pounds and compare with UK salaries. However, the need to travel should also be taken into account. If, like me, you have got very elderly parents in the UK then (assuming you care about them), you might need quite a bit more dosh if you want to visit them regularly.