1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay over the summer holidays... Where do I stand?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by djjon2002uk, Apr 28, 2010.

1. I am currently employed in a school on a short term contract (until the end of summer). I had a chat with the head about September and he said I am included in his plans or staffing unless something major happens.

In terms of pay how would this work. I understand I would get paid until July 31st. What will happen for Augusts pay if I continue at the school.
    I am happy at the school and will continue. Will I get a new contract at the end of the summer or will I have wait until next September for my contract along with pay?
    Realistically I see this as continuous employment so should get paid in August and September but will this happen?

2. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would ask your head.

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Exactly what are the details of your fixed term contract?
    If it was for anything but a maternity cover, then your existing contract ought really to last until 31st August.

4. Sorry, I have looked and the contract and you are right it is until 31st August.

So If I was to continue in September would I still get paid at the end of September?
    I would have asked the head/buisness manager but they have both been out today.

5. tafkam

Yes, if your contract is extended (or more likely replaced by a new one on virtually the same terms) your pay should continue as normal - although possibly on a higher rate if you've been working for long enough this year.

6. so, if i am doing a maternity contract start in march would i be entitled to august pay? school say the contract is until the end of july but am interested as to whether i would be entitled to august also. Can anyone help?

7. tafkam

Afraid not, suzannecrass. Maternity contracts tend to be "until the return date of the postholder" and it is perfectly possible for the main postholder to return on the first day of the holidays and so your contract (and pay) would end the day before that.