1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

pay on return to mainstream

Discussion in 'Independent' started by LawrenceL, Mar 19, 2019.

1. LawrenceL

LawrenceL New commenter

Hi - if I work in an independent school and then return to mainstream have I missed out on going up the payscale?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

There are no national payscales any longer nor any pay portability. Every school sets its own scales and is under no obligation to honour or match what you were paid before. Unless they choose to. They'll pay you what they think you are worth and what they can afford, and you can decide whether to accept it.

Will schools acknowledge and take into account your private school experience when deciding whether to employ you and what pay to offer? Generally yes in my (limited) experience if your experience was in England, but if the school has, shall we say, a 'challenging' intake there may be concerns about whether private school experience equips you for their students. Others may have different experience.

JohnJCazorla and Wotton like this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Why would you ever want to do this?

sabrinakat and Catgirl1964 like this.
  4. dts

dts Occasional commenter

Perhaps if, as in some independent schools, you're already on a much lower salary and are about to lose your pension as well?

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

That's me!
    (Well not lose the pension as such...more ending up with two smaller ones, rather than one larger one.)

Still not going back to all the monitoring, large classes and stupid appraisal systems though.

sabrinakat and Catgirl1964 like this.