1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay on a phased return?

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by Sara254, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Sara254

Sara254 New commenter

I'm hoping to go back to work soon, but have a chronic health condition (covered under the Equality Act) and would need an extended phased return. My last sick day on full pay would be at the end of the Spring term and I'd start the phased return in April when I'm entitled to a further 6 months on half pay.

My question is this - if my fit note ends on 31st March, which is the last day of term as well as the last day of the sick leave year, am I likely to be on half pay for the phased return, or would I be able to use the new year's allowance of sick days so I could have full pay during the phased return? The school is not part of an academy so I assume would follow Hertfordshire county council's guidelines (although I can't access these online annoyingly!)

I'd be really grateful for any advice!

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You should be on full pay for the period of phased return, regardless of your sick pay allowance. Usually the most you can phase for is a month and this should be set with Occupational Health as part of your return to work.

Spiritwalkerness likes this.
  3. fndteach

fndteach New commenter

I have been wondering the same.

My entitlement to full pay runs out in January and unfortunately I don't think I'll be returning yet so will go on to half pay then I don't know what happens when I actually start a phased return...

Hopefully someone else knows :) I am hoping OH contact me again soon so will post if I find anything out.

Sara254 likes this.
  4. Sara254

Sara254 New commenter

Occupational Health and my Rheumatologist are suggesting a 6-8 week phased return. I just wonder if they might limit the full pay to a shorter period of time.

5. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Yes it should be full pay ,which is mentioned above . Speak to your Union if the school attempts to short change you. By Union I mean the Regional Centre not the school rep.