1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay negotiations?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by gigglebert, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I've probably missed something somewhere or not read an email and my school doesn't have a union rep. I was just wondering when the pay negotiations are due to start? I'm planning a wedding/honeymoon for next summer and would love to know what I will be earning so I can work out what I need to save... was looking at the snct and eis websites but can't find any information I want which surprised me as it will surely need to all be sorted out by April?
    Any information muchly appreciated!
    ~ m

2. Hi all,
    I've probably missed something somewhere or not read an email and my school doesn't have a union rep. I was just wondering when the pay negotiations are due to start? I'm planning a wedding/honeymoon for next summer and would love to know what I will be earning so I can work out what I need to save... was looking at the snct and eis websites but can't find any information I want which surprised me as it will surely need to all be sorted out by April?
    Any information muchly appreciated!
    ~ m

3. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Don't know of any dates but the way things are looking i wouldn't be expecting a pay increase!

4. Think there was supposed to be an SNCT meeting in December? Haven't heard what was discussed, but the message coming from the Scottish gov appears to be that all public sector staff will have a pay freeze this year.

5. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Was that meeting not postponed cos of the bad weather?

6. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Yes and next meet is scheduled for next Wednesday I believe. Gives the OP just enough time to volunteer to be the union rep in his school.

7. Yep. It's part of the austerity package the LAs had to sign on to, is it not?:
    http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2010/11/17095357/1

8. And by my crude calculations, if my spending reflects the average, the VAT increase is going to take, oh, about another 2% off my take-home pay. Belt-tightening time, folks!

9. catmother

catmother Star commenter

As others have said,expect zero pay increase this April and possibly the next one too. Of course,if OP is still going up the 1 to 6 pay scale,they will still get this.

10. misterroy

misterroy New commenter

Two friends got married on the beach, minister, minister's wife and her pal as witnesses. About 5 years ago. He did it for the price of the licence, £35 I think. What you waiting for, its less than a trip to Tesco.

11. Dominie- if I had more time I might indeed volunteer to be a union rep but I am already worked to exhaustion (yes, I know, all the more reason to step up but I couldn't add anything else to my workload and when I asked my PT how to sort out the fact that I was struggling to do everything that needed done within a 55hr week and to try and bring it in line with a 35 hour one she just laughed and said that noone actually thinks you can do the job in 35 hours and that I needed to work MORE to make sure that our new S2 course was written!?)
    I'm only at the second point on the pay scale... I know that there is a pay freeze on for public sector staff but am very interested to know if I will still get an increment as this will make a big difference to me (esp. as I have to drive 70 miles a day to get to and from work so fuel costs are hitting me hard)
    Should just be glad my fiance works in a sector that hasn't been hit and is still getting pay rises I guess!

12. Dominie

Dominie New commenter

Can't have it all ways I'm afraid! You either step up to the plate and say No to this kind of sh1t or you give up any right to complain.
    Your employer says that your work should be capable of being completed within 35hrs. It's your PTs and HTs job to ensure that this is the case. Your union will support you in ensuring that this is the case but see above re stepping up to the plate.
    For what it's worth, in my own school, we have virtually 100% support for the union reps. The working time agreement is negotiated between the union reps and the HT. The agreement is formally voted on by secret ballot. There's not a PT in the school who would dare to make the kind of comment your report of your own PT.
    We need that to happen in every secondary schoolbut it won't just happen, YOU and your colleagues have to make it happen.
    By the way, strangely enough, lessons are still taught and the kids still learn. Teachers are more ready to provide extra curricular stuff because they know they have the day job in proper balance.

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Therefore,you'll still get your increment.

14. amysdad

amysdad Occasional commenter

About now - Councils set their budgets around 10th February so they need to start looking at this asap to make provision.
    From what I've heard, whatever the length of the agreement it's likely to be zero increase in at least the first year, with any increases in subsequent years not likely to be more than 1% (if that.) Increments won't change though so you will still get your spine increase each year, just not necessarily the April increase.

15. What are you doing that takes 55 hours?

16. sbf

sbf

2 weeks work!!

17. 70 hours?