1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay negotiations for NQT year

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by 123icecream, Nov 4, 2017.

1. 123icecream

123icecream New commenter

Hi, I am training in a super shortage subject and am wondering what others experiences of negotiating salary for NQT jobs has been? I have a top degree, am competent, will be taking on bits of responsibility here and there during the rest of my training year and am extremely ambitious. Would love to hear from anyone who 'haggled' for their first year teaching and what the outcome was! Thanks :)

2. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

I have some successful experience in this area.

My advice would be to concentrate on proving your worth as a priority. If you're in a 'training year', I assume you're in the early stages of some kind of Schools Direct (or equivalent) programme? Work hard, do a great job and show you can listen to advice.

If you have a very strong year and you are as good as it sounds like you think you are, then you will be well-placed to negotiate a higher than normal salary for your NQT year.

(Don't tell anybody at your school that you intend to ask for this at this stage, they will think you arrogant...)

JohnJCazorla likes this.
  3. 123icecream

123icecream New commenter

Thank you for your reply and advice. Could you be more specific about your experience? Did they offer a point on the pay scale and you asked for a higher one for example? Or did they ask you to suggest a salary?