1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay issue...can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by hazeymazey, Oct 1, 2018.

1. hazeymazey

hazeymazey New commenter

I was due to be paid last Friday. I discovered the day before by epayslip that I was due to be paid a fraction of my actual take home pay. I am 0.8 at the moment and moving to a new school in January. I have done a few ad hoc supply days for the new school and someone in payroll processed this as a transferred contract rather than one to run alongside my existing one. I was told I would be paid by 3pm on Friday by emergency payment. I wasn't. I was told it would be today. it hasn't been paid in yet. My bank could not honour by DDs which went out this morning as it took me beyond my overdraft. I am literally stuck. All HR could say was 'a heartfelt sorry' and that they would refund any charges to my account. They did suggest I start calling my dd companies in order to hold off the payments (this was 4.30 on Friday afternoon)

What on earth can I do?

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

Obviously, raise a stink! I don't understand why this sort of thing occurs. There is no earthly reason for it except incompetance. I imagine there might be considerable penalties the Head would need to comepnsate you for; what a waste of time and money.
    In the meantime, could a family member send you an interim payment/loan by BACS to cover the direct debits?

jlishman2158 likes this.
  3. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think that if you incur penalties, or this has an affect on your credit score, you should seek redress from payroll, as well as obviously having all the money owed to you, in your account immediately. Credit scores can take time to recover and this is in no way your fault.

Have you been able to contact your bank and explain what has happened? Other than borrowing the money, or explaining what’s happened to the dd companies, I don’t know what else you could do, but kicking up a stink is essential. I too, have no idea why these things happen. It’s indefensible.