1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay is the main reason overseas teachers are quitting their jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 7, 2018.

1. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

That is a difference I'd not considered. The young man I mentioned was actually a young man - about 22 years old - but I've also often taught teens and older adults EFL. The teens I've taught have only been in summer schools and made up of many nationalities, so there was no way I would be able to know all of their swear words anyway.

The adults I expect to act like adults (although the university students were often quite immature, swearing at a teacher is extremely poor behaviour compared to them having a joke with each other in their L1) and if/when they don't behave well their peers usually give them very little attention. I did teach English to children for a few years, in China and Korea, and I don't remember them ever behaving that badly (although it was quite a while ago). They tended to behave well, most of the time, in my classes although got fairly excitable at times. .

In fact I don't recall this often being raised as an issue in TEFL, at all. We have more issues with commercially-oriented management, students' lethargy, phone use, poor chains of communication, and cultural differences. There's also an attitude towards TEFL; that it's always unprofessional and only staffed by unqualified backpackers who don't do a proper job. Fortunately I don't come across that very often.

2. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I am!

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I absolutely agree, february31st, with the Chinese teachers' reactions to the dreadful behaviour that seems to be quite normal in some schools in the UK.

As regular readers of my blog, www.bulgariawithnoodles.blogspot.com, will know, recently I have retired. When I was teaching in Shenzhen I was very impressed with the students' hard work and their determination. They did not expect education to be a form of entertainment. What would happen at a typical school in the UK, if you were to tell the students that all of their lessons were going to be in Mandarin? They would freak out. They would start crying and complain. Maybe you would be arrested for Child Abuse. In China, all of my Mandarin-speaking students got on with their lessons, even though they were all in English, and they never complained even once. As for my middle set Maths Year 5 class, I regularly gave them big chunks of Year 7, 8 and even 9 Maths SATs papers for their homework. Most of them got most of it right, even though they were only in the middle set! I remember one Chinese boy asking me, "Why are British students so stupid?" Well, perhaps it is because the British educational system allows them to be that way.

I agree with sparklesparkle's comment, "A decent school won't let them, a decent parent won't let them and a decent teacher won't let them."

4. missbrody

missbrody New commenter

I've had a pupil at a prestigious international school swear in German, but he didn't realise that I speak German!
    Not all international positions are better, my experience has been unpleasant to say the least and the number of teachers leaving this summer was very high, which includes a large number returning to the UK.
    Reasons: excessive workload, pay cut, housing allowance slashed.....to name but a few.