1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay is the main reason overseas teachers are quitting their jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 7, 2018.

1. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The report is about recruiting overseas teachers to work in UK (English) schools, because of a shortfall of UK teachers.

It states that 48% of the ones who were recruited left because of 'negative experiences' in UK schools.

It also states that UK schools had 'negative experiences' recruiting overseas teachers.

So I don't understand the questions you are asking. It's not about UK teachers quitting overseas jobs because of low pay or 'negative experiences'.

2. february31st

february31st Established commenter

A serious question to all international teachers.

When have you been called a "F.@.c.k.i.n.g C.@.n.t" by a student or parent in an international school?
    A,Never
    B,Once in the last 20 years
    C,Once in the last 10 years

Now ask the same question to a teacher in England!

3. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@ blueskydreaming .........really?.........it is about teachers in England quitting their jobs. These teachers (irrespective of origin) are already in England. They are quitting their jobs in response to their experiences of the English school ecosystem.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  4. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Never internationally

On a weekly basis in the UK

spanboy likes this.
  5. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

For me it was a DAILY occurrence in the UK, as well as being spat at, having to duck to avoid flying chairs, knife at throat etc etc. Internationally = never!

6. nemo.

nemo. New commenter

Apart from a love of travel and adventure - I was overseas before in the UK you have:

1. Ofsted
    2. Crazy political interference saying a PGCE is useless etc
    3. Being spat on, headbutted, havi g keg broken etc by kids. So behaviour
    4. High taxes and low pay
    5. Lack of respect by society
    7. Brexit (reason to stay away from a broken Britain)
    8. Faster promotion if you want it

And better food, weather and travel!

hplovegame48 and mermy like this.
  7. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Daily occurrence for me. It was miserable environment to work in. Internationally never. The kids are an absolute delight.

8. nighttrace

nighttrace New commenter

I'm a foreign teacher here at the UK. I left the state sector quite a long time ago and never looked back. My observations of the UK state sector are as follows:

1. Unnecessary pressure from OFSTED
    2. Lack of vigour
    3. Arrogant/ignorant attitudes from some parents and pupils towards teachers (I have met far more rude and arrogant parents and pupils in the state sector than my current independent school)
    4. Lack of harsher punishment for poor attitude towards learning (when Detention doesn't work)
    5. Lack of respect for colleagues from some management members
    6. Working environment - crammed staffroom with out of date facilities

My lesson was judged as "outstanding" by the OFSTED and I was in one of the best state schools in the UK. I wasn't unhappy but left for a better opportunity and yes, financially we are more secure - as a family we are able to live on one salary with 2+ overseas holidays per year plus saving.

9. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Do you mean lack of academic rigour?

10. nighttrace

nighttrace New commenter

Both, actually.

11. pink_reindeer

pink_reindeer Occasional commenter

I am frequently sworn at in Arabic.

12. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

I got called a dog once by a grade 8 who didn't think I'd understand. Word got around that I had understood and called the parents about it and it hasn't happened since. I got verbal abuse 3-4 times a week in the supposedly 'nice' UK school I worked at prior to leaving - but never in other UK schools I've worked in.

sabrinakat and pink_reindeer like this.
  13. pink_reindeer

If I speak to parents, it makes matters worse.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  14. february31st

february31st Established commenter

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  15. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Obviously only anecdotal but I always think I (and my male colleagues) get an easier time from the parents than the female teachers on parents evenings - at least from a certain demographic of parents. I always just assumed it was a cultural thing, in the same way I often get a bit more politeness and help in govt offices than I think Indian workers etc get.

16. pink_reindeer

I think you definitely have a point here. But I actually meant that the kids' response to me the day following my contacting their parents can be a lot, lot worse. Not in every case, obviously.

17. simon43

simon43 New commenter

I never taught in the UK (In the 80s and 90s,I worked in very well-paid jobs as a satellite systems designer and integration expert).

When those jobs dried up, I left for south-east Asia and changed careers. About 10 years ago I 'fell' into teaching and subsequently acquired teaching qualifications additional to my existing 2 Masters degrees so that I knew HOW to teach and understood HOW children learn - to help me be a competent teacher.

Now I work in Myanmar, teaching English and Science. I'm sure my salary is low when compared to fully-qualified teachers of IB who work in the ME. But the cost of living is also very low in this country and I can save $2,000 USD each month. My outgoings are absolutely minimal and my stress levels are about zero. Teaching here is fun!

Were I to return to the UK for employment, my advanced years (59) would realistically find me stacking shelves in Tesco supermarket.

No thanks, I'll stay in south-east Asia and continue to enjoy my life :)

crusoeonmars, mermy and Xtinelove like this.
  18. My reason for leaving was (1) to escape my nightmare school and (2) to have a bit of an adventure.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  19. WatchYourTongue

WatchYourTongue New commenter

I purposely don't learn foreign swear words, to avoid knowing if a student is behaving like a child. The only time it was obvious a young man was calling me names I asked him to repeat it in English. Either he was too timid to do so or was embarrassed he didn't know the English vocab, but he quickly shut up.

20. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle New commenter

This is the difference between EFL and education.

1. If a 'student' is swearing the other children in the class will understand what is being said. It is your job to safeguard the other children and put a stop to it. And if you don't they will have no respect for you.

2. They ARE children. In a classroom context a child should not be able to swear at an adult and get away with it. A decent school won't let them, a decent parent won't let them and a decent teacher won't let them. If the school isn't bothered about it, particularly in an international context, I would move on.