1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay is the main reason overseas teachers are quitting their jobs

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by TES_Rosaline, Jun 7, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘More than a third of international teachers leaving English schools say they quit over “negative experiences” or unsatisfactory pay, according to research published today.

The research on international teacher recruitment, published today by the Department for Education, found that 38 per cent of overseas teachers who had taught in England but were no longer doing so left due to "negative experiences of English schools".

And 35 per cent said pay and conditions were unsatisfactory.’

What are your views on this issue? Were poor pay and conditions the reasons why you left your overseas job? Did you manage to find a better paid position or did you return to the UK or work in another country because of the lack of well-paid jobs? What countries do you think offer teachers the best pay and conditions?

https://www.tes.com/news/overseas-teachers-quitting-over-pay

2. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Yup. Pay and bullying were the two biggest reasons. Plus life in the UK was pretty miserable. I have more free time and more opportunities to travel now. If we had to return to the UK I would not work in education again.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

I have only earned less the i did in the UK when i worked in Spain, that was a "british curriculum" school, well it was more like a zoo. Since i have moved to teaching the IB and working in better countries i have earned significantly more than the "aversge" teacher in the UK. When you factor in the benefits packages thst most international schools provide (outsidevof western europe) i still argue that its very difficult to earn less than you would in the UK. Remember what we get for free, UK teachers have yo take out of their gross salaries. If i factored all my benefits in now, i would be grossing nearly £20 000 a month, as a basic classroom teacher. When i started teaching in the IB world, with only 3 years teaching i was taking home more than someone on M6 in the UK.....then i got my accommodation paid, utilities, medical, free flights, etc added in on top.

4. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Yes, I have left jobs due to low pay. Also, I have found the housing allowance in packages nowadays unsatisfactory in comparison to what would have been good a few years ago.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Established commenter

Do they know where these people have been teaching? If its southern western European then im not surprised at all.

6. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

On another TES forum, I suggested that many teachers struggle with crazy house prices in the UK and Council Tax. However, I was surprised when some posters seemed to suggest that buying property is quite easy if you are a teacher.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  7. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

Depends where live, surely.

8. aideng

aideng New commenter

Experiences of crappy workload and not being able to save anything if I wanted to have any kind of life was very wearing after a while. Accountability measures, performance related pay and the resultant atmosphere led to a poor quality of life. I did not actually realise the extent of this until I came away from it all and went back abroad. The money is of course a big issue, and as a result of the package overseas, I can save more each month than I was able to take home in total in the UK.

More serious than that though - and this of course may be a personal thing - was the way that teaching in the UK takes over and crowds your mental space. You are invaded all the time with thoughts of work you have to do, and issues that have to be dealt with. It is so hard to switch off, and actually look after your own life. While on a Christmas holiday after I left, I realised that I had not thought about my job for about a week, and instead was free to think about actually improving my life and well being. I have cherished this mental space, and it has kept me fresh all the way through the year, and enthusiastic about my teaching.

To summarise, both negative experiences of English workload, and the resultant affect on mental and physical well being, together with a financial situation that left nothing at the end of the year/month both served to make me want to go back overseas.

9. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

@dumbbells66, these people have been teaching in a place called England. I think it is a different from South Western Europe. ;) Certainly post-Brexit anyhow.

I would suggest the headline to the topic thread should be written to actually reflect the news item...

"Pay is the main reason overseas teachers are quitting their jobs" seems to say overseas teachers are quitting

When really, "Pay is the main reason teachers quit their UK jobs to go overseas" would be somewhat more accurate........

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    576, spanboy, Mr_Frosty and 1 other person like this.
  10. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Deleted as misread

11. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Yup, it is a little misleading. I got the wrong end of the stick first time I read it. I got waylaid by:

The teacher wasn't leaving an overseas job - they were leaving a job in the UK.

12. markedout

markedout New commenter

In fact, the research is about teachers from overseas who have been working in England deciding that they will stop teaching in England, either to return to their home or another country to teach, or for other reasons.

576 likes this.
  13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

That video is heartbreaking - but not surprising.

To be honest, I don't think I would still be teaching if I hadn't moved overseas and into private education - took a lot for me to get around the aspect that it was private education but to paraphrase one of the contributors to that video - I needed to feel valued and respected and could see the writing on the wall in the UK. It's not simply about money (although that does have a significant impact). It's about life choices, self respect, respect as a professional and simply being allowed to do a good job.

ejclibrarian, JL48 and Mr_Frosty like this.
  15. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

In my experience/opinion there are some very good jobs in the UK in great schools, with fantastic colleagues and great managers/leaders.

But there are many more schools where teachers are considered bottom of the food chain by management, parents, OFSTED and where teaching becomes less of a job and more of an ordeal or sentence. And while that's also true of some international schools the ratio of good to bad seems much higher and the generally higher salaries/lower taxes mean that work life balance becomes more enjoyable which can go someway towards a less than ideal working environment.

16. swsimp160

swsimp160 New commenter

UK is a grim and awful place to be a teacher. Australia is the best place I have worked: 8:50 am - 3 pm with two 45 minute breaks. $100 000 pa, great pensions and a summer holiday bonus of 22.5% of your summer holiday pay. A nationwide shortage of Maths, Chemistry and Physics teachers basically meant pick your school.

17. cookiemonster611

cookiemonster611 New commenter

Me and the Mrs left the UK a while back to work in the ME. Reason for me leaving my UK job was because of bullying. Reason for the Mrs leaving was because the job took over her life! We had to think really hard as to why we were in the job in the first place? I considered changing career. We loved the job so we thought we would try working overseas-see if that would change our minds of staying in the proffession?

It was an eye opener for both of us- I noticed there are some really genuine people in position of power who look after their staff and the Mrs found there is life outside of work where she could switch off totally and enjoy life.

We are back after a couple of years with a brand new mind set and if we ever so fall into that rut again we just remind each other of the good times we had and. Never saying we wouldn't go back out again though!

18. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle New commenter

Newsflash: England and the UK aren't the same thing.

May we assume that respondents from the other three UK nations aren't welcome?

19. Teachallover

Teachallover Occasional commenter

Personally I was talking about Beijing, China where rental prices have risen sky high but some schools (or should I say businesses) fail to reflect this in their housing allowance packages so staff are now spending significantly over budget.

20. spanboy

spanboy Occasional commenter

Yeah...confused me too