1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay increase not in Sept

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by 1983teacher1983, Jan 31, 2011.

1. 1983teacher1983

1983teacher1983 New commenter

Hi

I've been working at a school since april 10. Can anyone tell whether I can apply for a pay increase in April of this year?

Or do I need to wait until September 2011 until my pay increases. Thay does mean that I will have been on the same pay scale for 1.333 years.

Thanks

2. 1983teacher1983

Hi

I've been working at a school since april 10. Can anyone tell whether I can apply for a pay increase in April of this year?

Or do I need to wait until September 2011 until my pay increases. Thay does mean that I will have been on the same pay scale for 1.333 years.

Thanks

3. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

Pay progression (up the payscale) happens every September.
    As you started in April 2010 you were not able to go up the payscale in Sept 2010 as you will not have been employed as a teacher by the LA for at least 26 weeksbetween 1st Sept 2009 and 31st Aug 2010 (unless you had other LA paid teaching between Sept 2009 and April 2010)
    You will reach the 26 week qualifier by 1st Sept 2011 and will move up the payscale if you are currently below M6. Progression from M6 only occurs if you pass Threshold.
    The amounts paid for each point on the payscale will remain the same as 2010 levels because of the governments pay freeze (so no Cost of Living increase).

4. 1983teacher1983

Ok thanks for that.

Why does the system work like and it isn't possible for April starters to apply for an increase the next april?

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

because that's just the way it is?

6. jubilee

jubilee Lead commenter

You don't apply for an increase at all. You get pay progression automatically if you meet the 26 week qualifier. Everything is based on school years, not anniversaries of when you began working.