1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay in private schools

Discussion in 'Independent' started by adeniran1983, May 7, 2019.

1. adeniran1983

adeniran1983 New commenter

Hello all,

I notice that some of the really big private schools offer accommodation. How does that work with pay? Are you paid a lot less?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It varies a lot, but generally free accommodation is offered in return for boarding duties (for which there is also an additional pay allowance). That, in effect, means working around the clock for several days a week and for several complete weekends a year, so it needs a lot of dedication.

In other cases, accommodation may be offered at a subsidised rate, in which case there is not usually any expectation of boarding duties nor any reduction in pay.

Basically, every case is different, so you need to look carefully at the details.

3. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Different schools do things differently. If the accommodation is provided so that you can perform your duties, it's not taxable. As a housemaster in a small school, I had a bigger house than I could possibly afford, all utilities paid, council tax paid, and no worries about insurance or maintenance. And a substantial amount of extra pay.