1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

PAY IN INTERNATIONAL SCHOOLS IN JAPAN, HK & SHANGHAI

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Pasha, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Pasha

Pasha New commenter

Hi
    I have been a fully qualifed primary school teacher within the UK for the last 3 years. I am currently seeking a Class Teacher position, within the juniors, in Japan, HK, and Shanghai within an international school. I am seeking info and advice from anyone who is there now, or recently.
    1. The positions I have seen on websites and agencies do not advertise their pay therefore I have no idea what they are offering, or what to expect. Can someone please tell me how much the pay will be in Japan, HK, and Shanghai, plus any other benefits they will offer me with my experience????
    2. Can anyone recommend a certain place, Japan/HK or Shanghai, as I am not sure where to go as yet? Please tell me about your experiences in Japan/ HK and Shanghai.
    3. I have heard HK and Japan are really expensive, therefore how much pay would I require to live in those places, without struggling?
    Thank you

2. These really are 'how long is a piece of string' type questions. It depends so much on the school. Personally I'd say apply for schools in all 3 locations (assuming you would be happy with any of them) and then worry about deciding when you actually get offered a job.
    I could tell you what I earn (I'm not going to) but that wouldn't mean that it would be the same as what you were offered given the wide range of international schools. Plenty of ESL/EAL teachers manage to live in Tokyo on a lot less than what I get so it really depends on your expectations.
    When I was last looking for a job I went through Search and they give you a ballpark figure for every school who is advertising with them. You might want to consider that.

3. Rhysboy

Rhysboy New commenter

At the better international schools in Japan, you can expect to earn between 500,000 to 600,000 yen a month. At the current exchange rate, this is equivalent to about 50K a year.
    If you are single, you will be able to have a fairly good standard of living and be able to save some money.
    As the previous message said, many EFL teachers get by on half of this (the standard salary for teaching English is 250,000 yen a month.)
    If you are registered with Search, then you can see a ballpark salary figure on their website.