1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

Pay in HK

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Staffo, Jan 16, 2012.

  1. Staffo

    Staffo New commenter

    It will probably be in HK dollars, and per month, which is a lot more than 60K USD per year!

    It will be plenty to live on if you are on your own; you'll have a ball and save a small fortune! If you have a family with a non-working spouse and a couple of kids, you might find things a bit tight.

    Accommodation in HK is very expensive, but food & public transport are cheap. Expect to budget anything from 15k to 20k per month if you are alone, more if you have a family. You can save money by living in the New Territories or outlying islands, but it all depends what you want from your experience. PM me if you want to chat more.
  2. wrldtrvlr123

    wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

    That would be $90K+ per year (if my math is correct). What school in HK pays that as an entry level to the salary scale?
    What if it were say, $65K p.a., including the housing allowance? Could you be comfortable (family of 3)? My wife is a teacher as well and will get something eventually I'm sure, but how would we do initially with just one position?

  3. It says between $56K and $65k per year but that it is paid in HK dollars, not USD.

    So does that mean it is the equivalent of? And $12.5K housing allowance a year. It is in the New Territories.
  4. pixel

    pixel New commenter

    Hong Kong wages are usually paid and quoted per month in HKD. If that pay quote is in USD and per year it is quite low.
    Can you PM the link please?
  5. Staffo

    Staffo New commenter

    At entry level, probably none! I assumed that this was an experienced teacher and a job with some additional responsibility. Top of the pay scale for classroom teachers in a good international school, including housing allowance, would commonly be around HKD 60,000 (per month, as HK salaries are always quoted). So yes, that's about USD 90,000 per year. On top of that most will pay an end-of-contract gratuity of 10-20%.

    Looking at it monthly, a family of 3 would expect to pay 15% in tax, and anything from HKD 15k to HKD 30k for accommodation. Hopefully school fees are included. You might also pay for a full-time helper if both of you are working (another 4k per month, plus housing).

    Housing really eats into your income here, and where you live is very much governed by where you work and your budget.

    Are you moving here in summer? If you want to PM me I can answer more specifically for you.
  6. Staffo

    Staffo New commenter

    That will almost certainly be HKD per month. In the NT you should be budgeting about that for housing if you;re on your own. Don't expect a palace though! Space is at a premium here so if you want a bigger place, you'll have to pay for it. I'm not that familiar with rents over that way, but that should get you 500 sq ft in a modern development in the Sha Tin area, I'm guessing. If you want somewhere ***/nicer/different, then use some of your salary. You will live well on that money in Hong Kong if it's just for you. Tax is 15% and apart from accommodation there won't be any other major drains on your income.

Share This Page