1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay grades?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lforrester1994, May 23, 2019.

1. Lforrester1994

Lforrester1994 New commenter

Please can someone explain the pay grade system to me why is grade 3 sometimes more money than grade 4? But grade 2 is less than grade 3? And how do the pro rata salaries work? A job I’m going for is 18,426 pro rata so how much would the actual salary be?
    Thanks in advance, so confusing !

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What job do you do? They don't sound like teachers' grades.

Do you work in England?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

A pro-rata pay scale quote suggests to me that it might be for an ancillary/ support/ TA post. And the grades even more so.

The OP does right to be wary of such figures. Someone else may have better info, but when I worked as a TA I think the pay quoted was around £14/15k and I came away with around £9 and a half k.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Lforrester1994

Sorry I probably should have elaborated a little bit. It’s for a 1:1 TA with a LAC with emotional/social difficulties. It’s a temporary term time contract for 1 year initially.
    y I

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

OP, the pay grade system is SO confusing. Different LAs use different pay scales, that's way a Grade 3 could be one salary in one area and something completely different in another. The APTC scale is commonly used (you can find it online) but there are plenty more.
    There have been many threads on calculating TA pay, but basically the salary advertised would generally be for a 36 hour week, 52 weeks a year. The TA salary will be worked out, pro-rata to that amount, for 39 weeks a year - plus 5 weeks holiday - and however many hours a week the post is for. The final salary will then be annualised, so that the TA is paid 12 months of the year.
    As Lara says, the final amount is always much lower than the original figure - sadly, that's the way TA salaries are.
    Congratulations on your new role - enjoy!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. Lforrester1994

I found this online which seems helpful, my school advertised my 35 hour a week post as ‘full time’. Does this mean they consider 35 hours full time?

Attached Files:

7. Lara mfl 05

I doubt it. Even when on supply at a school with a slightly longer day of 5 hrs 50mins that still falls short of 35 hours. Remember one doesn't get paid for lunchtime unless one does a duty.

8. Lforrester1994

My working hours are 8.30-4.00 Monday to Friday so I am there for 37.5 hours, my working hours are 35 without breaks.

9. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I believe it's not full time because of the holidays. It all changed when those working in schools as TAs etc were brought into line with other local authority workers. Other LA workers have less holidays than schools so work more weeks. So even if you are in school every working day you are not for pay full time because you are in less weeks than other LA workers.When the changes were introduced many TAs lost money.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. Lforrester1994

Yeah I know I understand that and it does make sense really, we still get 4 or 5 weeks holiday though? As well as our 39 or 40 working weeks depending on inset. My school does require me to come in for inset so I’ll work 40 weeks and then my holidays I would imagine? So probably around 44 weeks?.
    I just meant that with my post being advertised as “full time” for working 35 hours (not including breaks) does this mean that they count that as the full time weekly working hours? If that makes sense.

11. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

I suppose it is full time in relation to the school but not in relation to the pay, it will still be pro rata. I worked very similar hours and did not get the full time pay.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I would expect you to get 13 weeks holiday in line with when schools are closed.
    7 hours a day, Mon - Fri would make a job full time in the sense of it being all day every day. (I'd love a TA from 8.30 - 4.00 each day.)

I assume your salary will be calculated as something similar to:
    18426/52=354.35 per week
    354.35*39 = 13819 a year (approx.)

13. Lara mfl 05

I would expect the 13 week's holiday as effectively a TA, attached to an individual couldn't work when the child wasn't in school. . however I don't think all those 13 weeks are 'paid', but only the statutory 4 weeks. . Which is possibly why it doesn't count as full-time?

14. Lforrester1994

No I’m not expecting to get the 18,426 a year by any means I know I need to take the school holidays out of that I’m just wondering about the weekly hours. Like if I was to work 30 hours and full time was classed as 35 it would be adjusted for that but I’m supposedly working the “full time” hours

15. Lforrester1994

The school have just said it’s 39 weeks a year and a week for inset. But 4 weeks of the 13 weeks holidays a year will be paid holidays won’t they?

16. Lforrester1994

Yeah I was going to say I don’t know many TA’s who stay later than 4pm. Will I not get 4 weeks paid holidays in the school holidays though? Everyone accrues paid leave don’t they? Even in a TA position x

17. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

You'll effectively have 13 weeks paid holiday in the sense you'll not be at work and yet will still be paid the same each month.
    You'll have a salary, worked out possibly as I showed above - possibly differently, and then you'll get 1/12 of it each month, minus NI, tax and pension contribution.
    You get the same wage each month, regardless of how many weeks you work that month.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Ctob has explained it well.
    Any discrepancies in unpaid weeks are catered for by splitting whatever the eventual salary to be into 12 equal parts, so you have a consistent income.

19. Lforrester1994

They have explained it well, thank you ctob. The only thing I’m confused about is some people are saying that TA’s are entitled to 4 of the 13 weeks of the holidays as paid holidays? As in our weekly wage would be multiplied by 43 instead of 39 for our annual salary.

20. Lforrester1994

Like this...

Attached Files: