1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay grade changes and employability: returning to the state sector from an independent school

Discussion in 'Independent' started by colin_o_driscoll, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone,

I am currently working towards my PGCE, and am very interested in applying for a science (physics) post in an independent school as an NQT. Were I to work for several years in an independent, where would I stand on returning to work in the state sector? Would I be expected to return as an M1, or would my independent teaching experience be properly taken account of?

There is an additional dimension to my question. I am planning to work in England for several years, but would like to return to my native Northern Ireland eventually. Again assuming that I would be transferring from an independent to the state sector at this time, would this move have any further implications for my future employability or pay grade?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

2. Hi everyone,

I am currently working towards my PGCE, and am very interested in applying for a science (physics) post in an independent school as an NQT. Were I to work for several years in an independent, where would I stand on returning to work in the state sector? Would I be expected to return as an M1, or would my independent teaching experience be properly taken account of?

There is an additional dimension to my question. I am planning to work in England for several years, but would like to return to my native Northern Ireland eventually. Again assuming that I would be transferring from an independent to the state sector at this time, would this move have any further implications for my future employability or pay grade?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm no expert, but I think your years in an independent school would be taken into account. What would probably not be taken into account are the various enhancements and extended payscales offered by independent schools that have their own payscales. For instance, in my own school we had extended increments to encourage good assistant teachers to stay in post, rather than seek a higher salary by applying for HoD posts elsewhere.
    Having said that, in nearly 40 years of teaching I can only recall one teacher who left the independent sector for a job in a maintained school - and that was for a HoD in a local grammar school, and he came back to us as soon as a HoD position in his old department became vacant.

4. I am pretty certain that while you can do your NQT year and get QTS in an independent (most anyway) your years of teaching will count for nothing on the state school pay scale if you then get a job in a state school .i.e. you will go to the bottom of the pile - or if you get really lucky, being a physics teacher, and get a generous/desperate school, they may offer you a little/minimum incentive to go there. But they don't have to. If you really want to have a go teaching in a state school, you are probably better off doing it first, as your years of teaching experience in a state school will count if you then get a job in an indy school.

5. I think it really depends upon the individual.
    I started teaching in an independent school (5 terms in total) and then moved to the state sector. Initially I was offered M4 (I had previous relevent experience and have taught overseas prior to PGCE) but managed to negotiate M6. Another school in this area has said that they only count years spent teaching in an English/Welsh state school.
    Ask to see a copy of the school's pay policy when you apply for a position and you should have more of an idea where you stand.