1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay: FTE: £19,000

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Dairlylea, Jan 23, 2012.

1. You know what, the most worrying thing for me in this thread is that there are head teachers who do not understand support staff pay! That is shocking! How can they be a manager and not understand their staffs basic pay and conditions? And those of you that have such managers, why don't you take your pay slips to them and show them the evidence?

2. I presume that the Head knows how much that they pay staff (before tax/NI) but do they know what the take home pay of their staff is?
    If not your head may simply see what looks like a decent monthly rate before tax but not be able to work out that it has to be shared across the year and have tax, NI, pension, Union dues etc deducted.
    Very annoying as is my Head's insistence that TAs are an 'expensive resource'. I understand that TA pay for a whole school impacts on the school budget. However I feel that for what I do and what I take home I provide exceptional value for money.
    My husband works as a machinist in a factory and I would never criticise how hard he works but he works the same hours as I do (except he always gets a full lunchbreak/teabreak) and earns half as much again as I do. No, he doesn't get the long holidays, but he can work flexi time and book a day off whenever necessary rather than being tied to the school holidays.
    Many TAs with young children are happy to have the long school holidays but for those that would like to work all year round it is impossible to find a second job solely to fill the long summer holidays.

3. I completely sympathise with your situation, simmd012! I cannot give too much detail, but I started a TA job a few years ago to support students in small groups. Since then, I have been given an increasing number of responsibilities including managing a study area, one to one tutoring and teaching classes everyday (all at the same time!) I feel exactly the same - working alone everyday (I don't have a department so have very little contact with other colleagues/adults) but I continue to do it because I am committed to helping students achieve, despite all the extra hours put in. Are we mad or what? Also, I didn't think TAs were meant to have performance targets?

4. chocolateworshipper

chocolateworshipper Occasional commenter

We have performance management targets in my school. I guess it is up to the HT?

5. Ophelia 9

Ophelia 9 New commenter

Most Local Authorities (indeed, many large employers in all sectors) now implement some form of Performance Management for all their employees. Up until this year all the TAs at my school have been assessed using the teacher Performance Management system but now our council has brought in a a new system specifically for school support staff ( all non-school staff in the council have been subject to this for years now, but our version is slightly different to theirs.)
    I am surprised that quite a number of TAs say they do not have targets set, and I would fully expect that this will change in most areas sooner rather than later. Not only do we have targets, but our moving up the pay scale is linked to them - fortunately the unions have managed to get rid of the threat of pay cuts for anyone who fails to reach the appropriate level but I don't doubt there will be further attempts in the future to bring that back into force!

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

No PM in our school for TAs.

7. We have had PM for a few years, the target is negotiated with our line manager and because mine is really reasonable my target is whatever I want it to be! Sweet!

8. bobbycatrules

bobbycatrules New commenter

It's disgusting that as a TA you get paid nearly £20,000. An NQT gets paid not a lot more than that. Stop moaning.

9. Do you understand what FTE means, or would you like one of us to explain?

10. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

FTE £19,000 !

Here it's less than £15,000, so a f/t TA (32.5 hrs per week) would earn a little over £10,000 pa.

11. In my dreams!! I work 25 hours a week, 39 weeks per year, spread over 52 weeks. I take home £740 per month. Where are these schools paying £20,000? They certainly aren't in my area!! I also work many hours unpaid each week because I love my job and the children. All TA's in our school are paid at level 2. I get paid level 4 on 2 afternoons when I do PPA cover. I Have level 2 and 3 NVQ and HLTA status but school just won't pay what i'm worth even though I was encouraged to do the studying.

12. I am not being funny but I think pay should reflect your qualification and experience and I don't think that is disgusting that a TA is paid £19,000 per year.

NQT's are newly qualified and should be paid accordingly. Some TA's have a mass of experience some don't. F
    After all we all had to start at the bottom and work up.

I have more experience with children than some of the teachers in the school that I work.

At the end of the day I go to work because I enjoy working with the children and seeing them achieve not to worry about who is being paid more than others.

It's just pathetic. At the end of the day you took the job and were quite happy with the money then.

13. Full time is pretty rare for TAs. I am a HLTA with over a decade as a TA. I have a degree and various qualifications. I work 37 hours term time only and take home just under the £978 quoted.
    I am not sure who these TAs taking home £1500 a month are. It may be possible for HLTAs but I think you would have to be top of the pay scale and paid all year round. I am guessing that any Head looking at that sort of salary would probably prefer to employ a teacher.
    However most TAs are not on full time hours and are paid pro rata and additionally are in the front line for redundancy if there is a budget shortfall.
    TAs on the whole are aware of their vulnerable positions and certainly in my school take on additional responsibilities and do planning and preparation in their own time. If you divide what most TAs earn with the actual hours that they work (rather than the hours they are paid for) their hourly rate is not wonderful.
    It is a great job for TAs with small children because of the long school holidays. However for TAs like me whose children have grown up it is a less attractive prospect. I work at least 45 hours a week at school and home and am tired and stressed. This year will be my last year as a TA - I made a mistake taking on the HLTA and the small increase in salary is not worth the hassle of the job.

14. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

Although it appears not to be the majority there are some of us in this wage bracket. I am level 4, ( but not HLTA, I decided to do a degree instead) 19 years experience and top of the scale. For the work I do in school I think I deserve what I earn. Yes it is more than an NQT but they are newly experienced just out of university and have years ahead of them to build up classroom experience so you cannot compare a TA wage with a teacher. The teachers on the top end of the scale are way above the top scale for a TA. That's life !! A bit petty saying someone shouldn't earn what they do. When I first started as a Nursery Nurse that was the conditions we were employed within 52 week contracts. If someone suddenly came and said I'm putting you on term time only then that would be the time I seriously considered getting out of education as much as I love it. I would find another line of work and use my degree in other ways.

15. you obviously have a **** TA and dont think they are worth that!