1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Pay from government during school closures for day to day supply teachers?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by teddybelle, Mar 22, 2020.

1. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Emmaree11, it took us ages to get anything of the parasites, however if you are paid by an agency, rather then an umbrella company, then they have to submit the claim to the HMRC every month and so cannot be backdated. Always remember that when our services are required, we can be awkward bug*ers as well. Have you enquired to see if you are due a tax rebate, I am due to get one, but the HMRC refused to answer the phone, I will change my tactics next week and pretend I after something else and I know to they also try to put you off, by claiming that your tax account as not been worked out, as they have not received the P60'. Sorry for the demented rant.

2. gold19951

gold19951 Occasional commenter

That is incredibly unfair. Just awful how some agencies are behaving. X

Emmaree11 and pepper5 like this.
  3. Emmaree11

Emmaree11 New commenter

It definitely is. I'm just trying to figure out if or how I can challenge it lol!

gold19951 and pepper5 like this.
  4. sojal

sojal New commenter

I have been told by my agency that they will not be paying furlough during the 6 week hols Can this be correct?

pepper5 likes this.
  5. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

Probably. I would be very very surprised if we are!

6. rfoster82

rfoster82 New commenter

Yes one of my agencies is saying the same (but only one of them so far) not sure if this is fair though when my average payment amount was divided by the number of weeks that I have worked for them and they have included the holidays in that number of weeks. Seems they can set their own rules!

gold19951, gingerhobo48 and pepper5 like this.
  7. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

Just assume you are going to get reamed.

However, agencies of all types are getting brutalised by this situation. I would like to say I hope they all starve and eat out of bins, but that would be us first.

8. btml

btml New commenter

Can someone please give me some advice. One of my agencies along with the umbrella co they’re using are withholding my furlough payment. The umbrella co are using a small limited co to pay me and say that they’re my employer. I’ve contacted the agency director and ironically he can’t get them to pay me. The employer won’t reply to my emails or calls.

9. greeneyes

greeneyes Occasional commenter

So after exhausting every avenue to be furloughed it turns out that after I first started asking about the prospect my agency issued a P45 without my knowledge!

10. ChrisH77

ChrisH77 New commenter

Sorry to hear of so many having a hard time.

Maybe I’m lucky, but I have worked through just 1 agency for 5 years, and they notified me right from the start that I’d be on furlough, and that pay would be calculated as 80% of the last year’s average. I have had quite a lot of time off for other projects so it isn’t much, but it was paid all through Easter hols and half term, and I’m guessing will be paid through summer, if still gov’t policy.

They’ve done it all. No problem.

gingerhobo48 and btml like this.
  11. btml

btml New commenter

When did you last work for them? I know that doesn’t matter according to the guidance but many agencies were reluctant to furlough anyone who hadn’t been paid by them in Feb/March.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  12. greeneyes

@btml not since November. HMRC said yesterday I could have been but the issuing of a P45 obviously stopped it.

13. btml

btml New commenter

Sorry to hear that. These agencies do whatever is best for them. I know if they are using an external payroll co they have to pay them a small fee for each teacher. That’s the reason why agencies refused to furlough all their teachers.

14. greeneyes

It’s all very convenient. I emailed them asking if there was one (I couldn’t find it) end of March. Compliance manager rings me April 1st and tells me my file is active. Then at some point in April they issue the P45 to HMRC but not me. They remembered to issue the P60.

15. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

You need to challenge this. If you were still on their payroll on April 1st then they could furlough you. Are you in a union? Ask for advice from them if you are.
    These kind of manoeuvres by some agencies are very short-sighted. People will vote with their feet.

gingerhobo48 likes this.
  16. greeneyes

@bounceback they wouldn’t budge. I’ve been fighting with them for about 5/6 weeks. They claim you had to be actively working at that point. Also today is the last day to add new starters and they made it clear all along they didn’t consider me eligible.

17. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Greeneyes, I would seek legal advice from the union or CAB, you are being treated badly by them, be a pain and fight, don't let the bug*ers get to you or force you to give in.

btml likes this.
  18. btml

btml New commenter

The problem is that the government has allowed employers to decide whether to furlough you or not. The employers will always look after their own interests. I would say don’t bother with any agency who couldn’t be bothered to furlough you in such unprecedented times.

19. greeneyes

I don’t intend to work for them again.

bounceback and btml like this.
  20. bagi

bagi New commenter